St. Quentin. .TOURNAI. '.). Route. 5:5
was added in 1516-18. The capitals of the pillars, which arc asso¬
ciated with columns, are particularly rich and varied. The propor¬
tions of the transept are more graceful, and the galleries lower.
The church contains a few pictures. In the first chapel of the S. (right)
Aisle, on the posterior wall, a Crucifixion by Jordaens. The chapei of
the N. Aisle (Chapelle Paroissiale de Notre-Dame), which contains some
stained glass of the 16th cent., is used for the ordinary services of the
cathedral, the choir being reserved for episcopal functions. — In the
Transept, right, a Holy Family with a glory of angels, painted by M. de
Negre in 1650. Most of the stained-glass windows were executed by
Stuerbout of Haarfem about the year 1465. Their subjects refer to the
history of the bishopric of Tournai, which received important privileges
in ttie 6th cent, from King Chilperic for services rendered in his war
against his brother, the Austrasian monarch Sigebert (right transept), and
in the 12th cent, from Pope Eugenius III. (left transept). — The richly
scufptured rood-loft, which separates the choir from the nave, executed
by Corn, de Vrient in the Renaissance style, with marble reliefs from the
Old and New Testament, was erected in 1566; it is surmounted by a large
group in bronze by Lecreux, representing St. Michael overcoming Satan.
— The stained glass of the Choir by Capronnier is modern.
Retro-Choir, beginning on the left side of the rood-loft: Lancelot Blon-
diel, Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity, etc.; Gallait, Christ restoring the
blind to sight, one of the master's earliest works. Farther on, adjoining
the high-altar, is the Gothic Reliquary of St. Eleutherius, the first Bishop
of Tournai (6th cent.), elaborately executed in gilt silver in the year 1247,
and adorned with the figures of the Twelve Apostles. At the back of the
high-altar a monument by Duquesnoy (17th cent.) has been erected to the
memory of all the bishops and canons of Tournai. On the other side of
the high-altar is the Reliquary of St. Plat, of about 1280. — Then in the
Chapel to the left, which is adorned with stained glass commemorating
the Council of 1870, is a large picture by Rubens, Rescue of souls from
Purgatory, a bold composition.
The Sacristy contains a very valuable crucifix in ivory by Duquesnoy,
a reliquary of the Merovingian period in the shape of a Creek cross, and
an ivory diptych of the ilth century.
Opposite the Episcopal Palace (PI. 17 ; B, 3) is the public Li¬
brary, containing about 8000 early painted works and 250 MSS.,
including a psalter that belonged to Henry VIII. of England and a
'Livre d'Heures' of the 15th cent., embellished with miniatures.
The Belfry (PL 3; B, 3), to the S.W. of the cathedral, dates
from 1187, but was partly rebuilt in 1391 and restored in 1852.
The spire is modern. A set of chimes, placed in the tower in 1878,
plays every half-hour. The ascent is recommended, particularly for
the sake of the view of the cathedral (260 steps to the platform ;
door-keeper at the entrance and custodian at the top, 25 c. each. j.
The triangular Grande Place (PL B, 3) in the centre of
the town is embellished with a statue of Marie de Lalaing, Prin¬
cess d'Epinoy (PL 20), in bronze, designed by Dutrieux. The heroic-
lady is represented in complete armour, with a battle-axe in her
hand, leading her fellow-citizens against the enemy (see p. 52). —
To the S. of this statue is the site of the old Cloth Hall, which fell
in 1881. A new building, now being erected from the designs of
Carpentier, is intended for the reception of the drawing academy
and collections of paintings and antiquities.
On the N. side of the Place is situated the church of *St. Quentin