52 Route 9.
1525 it was united with the Spanish Netherlands in accordance with
the Peace of Madrid. In 1581 Tournai was heroically defended
against Alexander of Parma by the Princess d'Epinoy, who, al¬
though wounded in the arm, refused to quit the ramparts, and did
not surrender the fortress until the greater part of the garrison had
fallen. In 1667 the town was taken after a protracted siege by
Louis XIV., who caused it to be fortified by Vauban, and in 1709
it was captured by the Imperial troops under Prince Eugene and
the Duke of Marlborough. In 1745 Tournai again fell into the
hands of the French, and in 1748 it was assigned to the Nether¬
lands by the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle. The fortifications were de¬
molished by Joseph II. in 1781, but were renewed in 1815-69.
The numerous sieges it has undergone have greatly altered the ex¬
ternal appearance of the town, and have left little trace of its ven¬
erable age, with the exception of a few interesting mediaeval houses.
The old walls have been converted into promenades. — The preten¬
der, Perkin Warbeck, was born here.
The Schelde (Escaut) divides the town into two nearly equal
parts, of which that on the left bank is by far the busier and more
important; but considerable improvements have taken place on the
right bank since the completion of the new railway-station. The
handsome, broad Quays , planted with trees, contribute to render
Tournai one of the pleasantest-looking towns in Belgium. The river
is generally crowded with barges, most of which are laden with coal
from the mines of Mons, and are bound for Ghent and other impor¬
tant places on the river.
The *Cathedral (Notre-Dame; PL 4, B 3), a noble example of
the Romanesque style, rises conspicuously above the houses on the
left bank. It is a cruciform basilica borne by pillars, with a retro-
choir and a series of chapels, and has five towers. The nave, which
was not vaulted until the 18th cent., dates from the middle of the
12th, and was probably consecrated in 1171. The transept was
erected in the 13th cent, by French masters, on the model of the
Cologne churches. The beautiful Gothic choir is of later date, and
was consecrated in 1338, and the facade , originally Romanesque,
was altered and provided with a porch in the pointed style about the
same period (comp. p. xxxviii). Among the sculptures in the porch,
which were executed at various periods from the 13th to the 17th
century, are interesting reliefs representing the Creation, Fall, and
Expulsion from Paradise, by sculptors of Tournai, dating from about
the year 1200 (see p. xl).
The Interior was purged in 1852 of the unsuitable additions
with which it had been disfigured in the course of centuries, and is
now strikingly impressive. It consists of nave and aisles 136 yds.
in length; nave 78 ft. wide and 78 ft. high ; breadth of transept
73 yds.; height of choir 107 ft. The walls above the aisles are
relieved by a triforiiim. The large chapel adjoining the left aisle