.9. Route. 51
landscape; Dobbelaare, Memling in St. John's Hospital at Bruges
(see p. 17).
Below the walls of Courtrai, on 11th July, 1302, was fought the
famous Battle of the Spurs, in which the Flemish army, consisting chiefly
of weavers from Ghent and Bruges, under Count John of Namur and
Duke William of Juliers, defeated the French under the Count of Ar¬
tois. Upwards of 1200 knights and several thousand soldiers fell. The
victors afterwards collected 700 golden spurs, an appendage worn by the
French knights alone, and hung them up as trophies in a monastery-
church which has since been destroyed. A small Chapel outside the
Ghent Gate, erected in 1831, marks the centre of the battle-field.
From Courtrai to Brussels and to Ypres, see R. 6. — Courtrai is also
connected by a branch-line with Renaix (p. 49).
At Courtrai the Tournai line quits the flat land and enters an
undulating and picturesque district. The Flemish language gives
way to the French. 31 M. Lauwe ; 35 M. Mouscron (the s mute),
the Belgian douane for travellers arriving from France.
From Mouscron to Lille, 11 M., railway in 37 min. (fares 2 fr. 20, 1 fr.
65, lfr. 20 c). — 2'/2 M. Tourcoing, a busy manufacturing town of 52,000
inhab., with a monument commemorating the defeat of the English and
Austrians by Pichegru in 1794. — 5 M. Roubaix (Hdtel Ferraille), another
important manufacturing town, the population of which has risen during
the present century from 8000 to 92,000. — Near Croix- Wasquehal the
train crosses the Roubaix Canal, which connects the Deule with the
Schelde. — 11 M. Lille, see p. 57.
The next station, Herseaux - Estaimpuis, is connected by a
branch-line with the railway from Renaix (p. 49) to Courtrai. Be¬
tween Nechin and Templeuve the Belgian line quits the province of
West Flanders for that of Hainault (Germ. Hennegau). To the left
rises Mont St. Aubert (p. 55), 325ft. in height, also called Ste.
Trinite, from the small church on its summit. It is 4M. distant
from Tournai, and is much visited for the sake of the fine view it
commands. Near Tournai the train crosses the Schelde, and finally
stops on the handsome quay constructed by Louis XIV-
Arrival. The New Station (PL D, 2, 3), opened for traffic in 1S79, is
a handsome building by Beyaert of Brussels. The old station (PL C, 2)
is now used for goods-traffic only.
Hotels. Hotel de l'Imperatrice (PL a; A,3), Rue de Manx 12; Hotel
de la Petite Nef (PL c; B, 2), Rue du Cygne 35; Hotel de Bellevue
(PL d; C, 2), Quai Dumon 6, R. Vfr fr.; Hotel Menu, Rue Royale 27
(PL C, D, 3), near the railway-station, moderate. — Table-d'hote in all
at 1 p.m.
Restaurants. Taverne Alsacienne and Restaurant Bavaro-Belge, in the
Grand' Place; Taverne du Globe (English beer) and Cafi Vinitien, in the Rue
Royale, near the new station; all with good cuisine.
About 3-31/2 hrs. will suffice for a visit to the Cathedral, the Church
of St. Quentin, and the pictures in the Hotel de Ville.
Tournai, Flem. Doornik, with 32,600 inhab., the most important
and prosperous town of Hainault, and one of the most ancient in Bel¬
gium , was the Civitas Nerviorum of Caesar, afterwards called Tur-
nacum. In the 5th and 6th centuries it was the seat of the Mero¬
vingian kings. At a later period the town belonged to France, but in