8. From Ghent to Courtrai and Tournai.
Railway from Ghent to Courtrai (27'/a M.) in l'Ahr. (fares 3 fr. 35,
2fr. 50, lfr. 70 c.) ; from Courtrai to Tournai (19 M.) in 1 hr. (2fr. 15, 1 fr. 60,
lfr. 10c). From Tournai to Brussels, see R. 11.
From Ghent to (6 M.) La Pinte, see p. 28. The line to Oude¬
narde, Leuze, and Mons here diverges to the left.
From Ghent to Oudenarde, 17 M., railway in 50 min. (fares 2 fr. 5,
1 fr. 55, 1 fr. 5 c); to Leuze. 36V2 M., in 13/4 hr. (4 fr. 50, 3 fr. 35, 2 fr.
25 c); via St. Ghislain to Mons, 58 M., in 3'A hrs. (7 fr. 15, 5 fr. 40, 3 fr.
60 c). — Stations: Eecke-Nazareth, Gavre-Asper, Synghem, Eyne, and
Oudenarde (p. 30), the junction of the line from Brussels to Courtrai
(R. 6). Then Leupeghem, Etichove, Renaix (where branches diverge to
Courtrai and Bassilly, p. 63), Anvaing, Frasnes, Leuze (junction of the
Brussels-Lille line, p. 62), Basecles, Blaton (p. 62), Pommeroeul, SI. Ghis¬
lain (p. 163). 5S M. Mons, see p. 162.
7!/.2 M. Deurle; 10 M. Deynze (route thence to Thielt and Ingel¬
miinster, seep. 28); 14M. Machelen; 15y2 M. Olsene; 19M. Waere-
ghem. junction for the connecting line between Anseghem (p. 31)
and Ingelmiinster (p. 28); 22 M. Desselghem; 24 M. Haerlebeke,
where tobacco is extensively grown.
27y2 M. Courtrai, Flem. Kortryk (*Lion d'Or, moderate; Hotel
du Damier, both in the Grand' Place; Hotel Royal and Hotel du
Midi, at the station; opposite, Hotel du Nord; Rail. Restaurant;
Cafe Beige and Cafe Francois, in the market-place), a manufacturing
town with 27,000 inhab., situated on the Ley (Lys), is famous
for its table-linen and its lace, in the manufacture of which
5000-6000 women are employed. The flax of Courtrai enjoys a
high reputation, and is manufactured in various districts of Belgium,
as well as in the town itself. It is prepared with great care and
skill. After being cut, it is carefully sunned and dried, stored
for a year, then steeped in the water of the Ley, and sent to the
factory. About one-twentieth of the soil in the environs produces
flax. There are also extensive bleaching-grounds in the vicinity. —
Two or three hours suffice for seeing the town.
The street (Rue du Chemin de Fer) running straight from the
station, and then turning to the right, leads to the large market¬
place (Groote Markt or Grande Place) where the town-hall rises on
the left and the belfry on the right.
The *Town Hall, erected in 1526-28, has been completely
restored since 1846, and the facade embellished with statues in
the original style. Two richly-decorated *Chimney-pieces in the
interior are worthy of notice. One of them, in the Salle Eche-
vinale on the ground-floor, is adorned with the coats - of-arms of
the allied towns of Ghent and Bruges, the standard-bearers of the
knights of Courtrai, a figure of the Virgin, and statues of Archduke
Albert and his wife. This room has been embellished with well-
painted frescoes from the history of Flanders by Guffens and
Swerts, completed in 1875. The principal of these represent the
Departure of Baldwin IX., Count of Flanders, at the commencement
Baedrker's Belgium and Holland. 8th Edit. 4