46 Route 7.
city, the most important of which are those of the Compagnie Con¬
tinental d'Horticulture, Rue du Chauine 52 (PL B, 5), and of
L. van Houtle, in Gentbrugge (visitors readily admitted).
Nearly opposite the Casino, on the other side of the canal, rises
the Maison de Force (PL A, B, 4), a prison formerly of European
celebrity. The building was begun under Maria Theresa in 1772,
but not completed until 1825. A new wing has lately been erected,
which contains 158 cells for solitary confinement, on the Auburn,
or silent system. Its present inmates are mostly prisoners to whom
the strict silent system is unsuited. — Near this is a new prison,
the Maison de Surete, with 325 cells, accommodating 420 convicts.
Belgium has perhaps done more for the reform of the Prison System
than any other country. The strict separation of the convicts by day
and night, at work, at meals, at church, in the schools, or at exercise
in the prison court, has been adopted throughout the land. The efforts
made for the mental and moral improvement of the inmates merit all
praise. The most important establishments next to those at Louvain
and Ghent are the prisons at Antwerp, Mons, Arlon, Tournai, and Malines.
Visitors (with the exception of superior prison officials) are not admitted
without permission from the Minister of Justice at Brussels.
The Kouter, or Place d'Armes (PL C, 5), is a large open space
planted with a double row of lime-trees, where a military band plays
on Sunday and Wednesday evenings in summer. On Sunday morn¬
ings an abundantly supplied flower-market is held here. On the E.
side of the Kouter is the Cafe des Arcades, occupying the site of
the house of the brothers Hubert and Jan van Eyck, where they
painted their celebrated picture. — The S.W- corner is occupied by
the Theatre (PL 25; C, 5), erected by Roelandt in 1848.
The Palais de Justice (PL 21; C, 5), an imposing edifice by
Roelandt, completed in 1844, is bounded on two sides by the Ley.
The chief facade to the N. has a peristyle of the Corinthian order,
and is approached by a lofty flight of steps.
The Salle des Pas Perdus (85 yds. long, 25 yds. wide), usually entered
by a flight of steps from the Rue du Commerce, contains a few pictures.
On the principal wall, opposite the entrance: G. de Crayer, Francis I. of
France surrendering his sword to the knight Lannoy after the Battle of
Pavia (1525), Charles V. landing in Africa, Charles V. and his son Fer¬
dinand, three large pictures painted for the decoration of a triumphal
arch, which the city erected at the entry of the Infante Ferdinand. In
spite of the slightness of their execution, they are of great interest as bearing
testimony to the pomp and luxury that were customary on occasions of
this kind during the 16th century. Also some modern paintings: Math.
van Brie, Conclusion of the Pacification of Ghent in the Hotel de Ville;
L. de Gaeye, Charles Martel's victory over the Saracens near Poitiers
(732); Van Severdonck, Cavalry-skirmish between Flemings and Spaniards.
The University (PL C, 4), another edifice by Roelandt, has its
facade, with a Corinthian peristyle, towards the Rue des Foulons.
The Aula, reached through a covered court and a vestibule, which
is adorned with frescoes by De Ciuysenaar (Henry IV. at Canossa,
Leaders of the Reformation, Renaissance, and French Revolution),
is a rotunda supported by marble columns in the style of the Pan-