St. Michael's Church. GHENT.
7- Route. 43
side of the Corn Market, there are several interesting old buildings.
The handsome Skipper House (No. 15) was erected in 1531 by the
Guild of the Skippers.
St. Michael's Church (PL 9; C, 4), a handsome Gothic edifice
begun in 1445 (nave completed 1480, tower unfinished), was em¬
ployed in 1794 as a ' Temple of Reason', and lost most of its trea¬
sures of art at that period. The pictures which it now contains are,
with the exception of a few by Vsenius, Van Dyck, De Crayer, etc.,
productions of the first half of the present century. The modern
stained-glass windows are by Capronnier. (Sacristan 1 fr., more
for a party.)
N. Aisle, first entered in approaching from the bridge: 4th Chapel:
Vaenius, Raising of Lazarus. 2nd: De Crayer, St. Bernhard, St. Joseph,
and St. George worshipping the Trinity. 1st: Van Balen, Assumption.
— The "Pulpit by Franck, 1746, a masterpiece of taste and execution, rests
on the trunk of a fig-tree in marble; Christ healing a blind man forms
the principal group below; the staircase railings are of mahogany. —
South Aisle. 3rd Chapel: Model of the tower as originally designed. Van
Bockhorst, Conversion of St. Hubert.
S. Transept. Francois, Ascension; Lens, Annunciation.
N. Transept: '■'Van DycVs celebrated Crucifixion, said to have been
painted for this church in six weeks, for 800 ft. A horseman extends the
sponge to the Saviour with his spear; John and the Maries below, weep¬
ing angels above. Paelinck, Finding of the Cross by the Empress Helena.
Choir. To the right, 2nd Chapel: Van der Plaetsen, The Pope ex¬
horting Louis XI. to submit to the will of God, painted in 1838; Spagno-
letto, St. Francis. 3rd: "De Crayer, Assumption of St. Catherine, one of
the master's best works. 4th: Ph. de Champaigne, Pope Gregory teaching
choristers to sing. 5th: Van Mander, St. Sebastian and S. Carlo Borromeo.
6th, at the back of the high-altar: Van Bockhorst, Allegory, Moses and
Aaron typical of the Old Testament; St. John, St. Sebastian, and the
Pope typical of the New. 7th: Maes-Canini, Holy Family. 9th: Seghers,
Scourging of Christ. 10th: Th. v. Thulden, Martyrdom of St. Adrian.
11th: De Crayer, Descent of the Holy Ghost.
Adjoining the Marche' aux Grains, on the N., lies the Marche
aux Herbes (Groenselmarkt), on the left of which rises the exten¬
sive Grande Boucherie (Groot Vleeschhuis, PL 16; C, 4) erected in
1408-17, but of no architectural interest; it is unused at present.
An interesting mural painting in oil, executed by Nabor Martins
in 1445 (freely painted over), was discovered in the old chapel of
the building in 1854. The iron rings and collars on the wall to the
right are mementoes of the public executions and tortures which
formerly took place here. The same association is commemorated
in the name of a small adjacent cafe', Cafe de la Potence or t'Galgen-
huis. — The members of the Ghent Guild of Butchers were known
as 'Prince Kinderen' (Prince's children), being the descendants of
Charles V. and the pretty daughter of a butcher, who secured for
her son and his descendants the sole right of slaughtering and selling
meat in the city. The son of the emperor had four sons, the an¬
cestors of the four families of Van Melle, Van Loo, Minne, and
Deynoot of whom alone the guild consisted down to 1794.
Crossing thebridgeto the left,we reach the Place Stf. Pharaildk,