to Venersborg. TROLLHATTAN. 44. Route. 285
At the lower entrance to the locks lies Akersvass (p. 283 ; rfmts.
at the 'Schweizeri'), where steamboat-passengers from Gotenburg
land. Up-stream we follow the 'Karlekens-Stig', from which we
see how the river has eroded the granite. By the stone steps on the
left (1/4 hr.) is the Elvii-Sluss, a lock begun by Polhem and Wiman
in 1751-55, but unfinished (comp. p. 289). By the Flottbergs-
strom, the lowest of the rapids, we cross the river and ascend on
the right bank. Below the Helvetesfall a steep flight of steps to
the left ascends the Kopparflint (187 ft.; iron pavilion at the top),
whence a path descends to the Stromslund road. This road de¬
scends to the right, and from it we take the 'Strombergs-Skogsvag'
diverging to the left.
It is more interesting to follow the bank, past the Helvetesfall
('hell-fall', 24ft. high) and the Hoijumsvarp basin, up to the
Stampestrbmsfall (8 ft. high), at the foot of which, by the salmon-
fishing apparatus, is a platform overlooking the seething cataract.
Further up we pass under Kung-Oscar's-Bro to a bench, where we
see the Tjuffall, the Toppo, and the Toppofall (see below). We
turn here, and, by the bridge, mount the steps to the Stromslund
road. After a few paces we ascend in steps to the right to the
'Strombergs-Skogsvag', which leads in 1/4 hr. to the Breidablick, a
good point of view. A little to the N. is the villa Strbmsberg. The
view embraces the calm upper course of the Gota-Elf, with the
railOQc-v"bridge ^P' 286^' as far as the H^leberg and Hunneberg
(p. 286). — Returning a few paces, we now follow a path branching
off to the E., past the Skogsstjernan cafe', to the mill on the Gullo-
klinl, where we have a view of the Nolfall and the island Gullo;
then turn back for a few paces and go to the left to the Thorsbad,
a resting-place with an iron platform just above the cataract. Far¬
ther on, passing an iron terrace on the Tjufhalsklint, we come to
the Strbmsbergsklint, a jutting rock overlooking most of the falls.
We descend to the —
Kung-Oscar's-Bro (128ft.), built in 1889, which affords a
general view of the Toppb falls. Beyond the bridge, a few paces
below it, on the right, is the Kungsgrotta (Kgr. on the Plan), being
half of a glacier-cauldron, bearing the chiselled names of princely
visitors. A little beyond it the road crosses the unfinished Polhems-
Sluss (comp. p. 289).
On the left bank a path to the left leads to the bridge crossing
to the island of Ona. Here we pass round the yard of the large
carbide-factory, cross another bridge, pass a cellulose-factory, and
reach a small swaying suspension-bridge (25 c.; at most two pers.
at a time), leading to the Toppb. The island lies in the middle of
the grand *Toppb-Fall, the highest (42 ft.) of the series, the branch
next the right bank being called the Tjuffall ('thief's fall'). The
huge seething and thundering volume of water presents a very im¬
pressive scene. — A bridge (25 6.) connects the upper end of the