284 Route 44. TROLLHATTAN. From Gotenburg
56 Kil. Uppharad. The view becomes more open, and a few fields
are seen. Stat. Velanda, prettily situated; on the right, the Halle-
berg and Hunneberg (p. 286).
72 Kil. Trollhattan. — At the Station carriages from the hotels
meet the trains [(72-1 kr.). — The Steamboat touches at Akersvass, at the
lower end of the canal (hotel-carriages meet the boats), and at the Grand-
Hdtel, at the upper end.
Grand Hotel Trollhattan, 74 hr. from the station, good, R. 172-372,
B. 80 6. to ll/t, D. 2-3kr.; Jernvags Hot. (/. H. on the Map), at the station,
very fair. — In summer, rooms had better be ordered by post-card. —
Carriage, 1-2 pers. 1.50 for first hr., 1 kr. each hr. more.
A visit to the Waterfalls and the Canal takes at least 372-4hrs.:
From the station to the quay of Akersvass 4 Kil. (on foot, incl. visit to
locks, 174-l'/2 hr.; by carr. 72 hr.); by footpath to theFlottbergstrom 74 hr.;
on the right bank, either over the Kopparflint, or by the water-side to
the Breidablick ','4 hr.; back to Kung-Oscar's-Bro 20 min.; on the left bank
visit the„Topp6, and return to the station, 72 hr. — Steamboat-passengers
land at Akersvass and rejoin the boat at the Grand Hotel (see above).
— The Turist-Comiti has published a large map of the region (75 b.).
Trollhattan, a town of about 6050 inhab., consists almost en¬
tirely of factories, driven by the cataracts of the Gota-Elf, the so-
called Falls of Trollhattan, and of workmen's houses. The river
has forced its way through a barrier of granite, and in a course of
1600 yds. descends 108 ft.; its enormous volume is estimated
at 600 cub. yds. per second, of some 200,000 horse-power. Little of
this has yet been utilized, but the new power-station of 1908 is
expected to withdraw 65,000 horse-power from the cataracts. The
chief falls are separated by islands. Though not picturesque, the
scene is highly impressive. The great mills and factories, and no¬
tably the locks on the left side of the river, are highly interesting.
As the scene is most effective when approached from below,
railway (as well as steamboat) passengers should begin their visit
at Akersvass. We follow the broad road from the station, leading
to the right through the town of Trollhattan, and cross the N. en¬
trance to the canal by the bridge beyond the Grand-H6tel. By
the Brovakt, just beyond the bridge, we follow the road to the left,
on the right bank of the canal. We pass the large brick Kyrka,
which rises a little to our right, and (3/4 hr. from the station) the
Mekanisk Verkstad (locomotive-works) of Nydqvist & Holm, and (in
20 min. more) reach the houses of Akersberg, on the Akersjo, with
the offices of the lock-administration. Here begin the eleven 'new'
"Locks constructed by Nils Ericson (p. 317) in 1836-44, ascending
in steps, 108 ft. in all. Each is 38-39 yds. long and 83/4 yds. wide
They are hewn in the rock, and are separated from each other by
double-winged gates Over 9000 vessels pass through them an¬
nually, passing-places being afforded by larger basins which divide
the system into three different sections. The 'old' locks, opened
in 1800, are still used, but by small vessels only. Visitors may
walk along either side of the locks and cross by any of the gates.
A good survey is obtained from the Akersberg Altan, to which a
Unger-post indicates the way to the left.