Z»Z Route 43. GOTENBURG. Slottskog Park.
vols.; ceiling-paintings by G. Pauli). To the N. of it rises the Haga-
Kyrka. At the corner of the Engelbrekts-Gata and Victoria-Gata is
the Primiry Girls' School (Elementarlaroverket for Flickor; PL 10,
F, 5), with wall-paintings by 0. Larsson, of woman's life in Sweden
from the earliest times to the present day. In the Victoria-Gata is
the reservoir of the water-works (PL F, 5). — A general view of
town and harbour is obtained from Skansen Kronan (PL D, 5), a
hill to the S.W. of the town, laid out as a public promenade, with
an old fort. The massive tower, with its conspicuous gilded crown,
now contains an artillery museum (Sun. 1.30 to 3 o'cl., 10 6.; Wed.
2-3, 25 6.).
The W. suburbs, Masthugget (PL B, C, 4,5), with the St. Johannis-
Kyrka and the Gothic Oskar-Fredriks-Kyrka (PL B, C, 5; by Zetter¬
vall, 1888-92), and Majorna (PL A, 4, 5), with the Karl-Johans-
Kyrka, contain numerous factories, and are reached by tramways
Nos. 3 and 4 (see p. 278). Between the stations of Stigbergsliden
and Stigbergstorget (PL A, 4), on the right, is the restaurant of
Henriksberg (PL A, 4; p. 278), affording an admirable view, espec¬
ially by evening light, of the broad river and the island of
Hisingen, with its ship-building yards and dry-docks. — From the
Stigbergs-Torg the Ban-Gata leads to the left, past a small cem¬
etery, to the Djurgards-Plats (PL A, 6) and to the N.W. entrance
of the Slottskog (20-25 min.). Or we may return by tram to the
Jerntorg (PL C, 4), and change to the Ring Line.
The workmen's suburb of Annedal (PL D, E, 6), planned like
that of Mulhausen in Germany, is adjoined on the S.W. by the
*Slottskog Park (comp. PL A - D, 6, and see annexed Plan;
trams Nos. 1, 2, and 6, see p. 278, lead to the N. E. entrance).
These public grounds, with their fine old oaks, ornamental lakes,
cafe's, etc. (no spirituous liquors), extend over several rocky hill¬
ocks and afford good views, notably from the *Stora Utsigt (Pl.B, 6),
a tower built at the N. end in 1899, from the Lilla Utsigt near
the dairy, and from the Bergsklyftan near the Hjbrt-Park (with
deer and elks). At the S. end of the park is a medallion-bust of
the merchant A. Kobb (PL B, C, 9), a benefactor of the park.
Among other churches are the English Church (PL E, 3), Hvit-
feldt-Plats, and the Rom. Oath. Church (PL F, 1), Spanmals-Gata.
In the S.E. environs are numerous villas of the merchants of
Gotenburg, mostly on the Danska Vag (PL K, 4). We may go by
tram (No. 4 or 5, p. 278) by Lorensberg to the Orgryte-Viig (PI. I, 5).
We follow the latter street, cross the Molndalsa, pass under the
Halland railway, skirt the little Orgryte-Kyrka, with its churchyard,
and (V4 hr.) reach the entrance (on the left) to the late Mr. J. Dick¬
son's villa of Ofveras, generally open. Fine view from the hill behind
the house, to the left. Farther on is the red brick Nya Orgryte-Kirka,
on the right. — About 3 Kil. beyond the Molndalsa bridge the
Danska Vag joins the Redbergs-Vag (tram No. 3 or 5; p. 278). To