Harbour. GOTENBURG. 43. Route. 281
army in a Parisian cabaret; C. G. Hellqvist. Louis XI. in his garden, enjoying
the sight of executed opponents; //. Salmson, Turnip harvest in Picardy-
N. Forsberg, Acrobats. — In the long Room: F. J. Fagerlin, Interior of
fisherman s cottage, Boys playing cards; Q. Salomon, News from the
Crimea; J. E. Bergh, Waterfall with saw-mil], Swedish landscape- C J
Hockert, yueen Christina of Sweden ordering the execution of Monaldeschi
her favourite at Fontainebleau; A. Wahlberg, Swedish landscape - In
the first of the two small cabinets are pictures by Ad. Tidemand, First
meeting, Dying bear-hunter; V. S. Lerche, Visit of the cardinal: H F
Gude, On Christiania Fjord, Funeral on the Sognefjord. — In the second"
cabinet: Morten Miller, Landscape; H. Jerichau, In Capri. - In the Staircase ■
C. Fould, Buried alive. — The older paintings include nothing of import¬
ance. Lastly etchings by A. L. Zorn, drawings by C. Larsson, water-colours
and pastels. — Adjacent are the Ecclesiastical Antiquities (p. 280).
Opposite the Museum are bridges crossing the canal to the
Vestra Hamngata(see below) and the Lilla Tokg(P1. E, 2), where a
statue, by Borjeson, of the merchant Jonas Altstrbmer (1685-1761)
a promoter of the Swedish wool-industry, has been erected. To
the W. of the Torg is the Reddens of the Landshbfding (PI. D, E 2)
rv TnenHarbour flanks the Gota-Elf. The Stora Bommens Hamn
(PI. D, 2), whence the sea-going and coasting steamers start, is
adjoined on the N. by the Custom House (Tull-och-Packhus)
The Skeppsbro (PL D, 3) is the chief haunt of the steam-launches.
The canal-steamers start.from the Lilla Bommens Hamn (PI E 1")
to the N. ' ' ■"
Several bridges cross the old moat, which separates the old
town from the new (p. 279), two of them prolonging the Vestra
Hamngata and the Ostra Hamngata (p. 280). The latter bridge
called lKungsports-Bro' after an old town-gate, leads to the grounds
by the Theatre (Nya Teater; PL F, 3). Opposite the theatre rises
the original of Molin's fine group of the "'Bdltespannare (PI 1 •
f™ £ t?0}' ^ Behind tne theatre lies the pleasant Kungspark
(PL E, F, 4, 3). — In the opposite direction, beyond the Balte-
spannare, is one of the two chief entrances to the pretty grounds
of the Tradgards-Forening ('garden society; PL G, 2,3; adm. 106.).
The other entrance is on the N. side, near the Slussbro. The hot¬
houses (25 6.) contain beautiful palms, orchids, and other exotics.
A band plays noon and evening in summer near or in the restaur¬
ant (p. 278).
The residential quarter of Gotenburg lies S.E. of the Kungspark
In the Kungsfoet Avenue, close to the Nya Alle'e, rises a statue,
by J. Fallstedt, of John Ericsson (PI. 2; F, 3), inventor of the screw-
propeller (1803-89). Farther S. is the Vasa-Gata (PL F 4)
adjoined by the Vasa Park and the new buildings of the University
(Hog-Skola; PL F, 4), founded by subscription in 1887, as yet a
faculty of classical studies only (endowment 3y<> mill, kr ■ 14 pro¬
fessors, 12 lecturers, 100 students and about 1000 free 'hearers')
Near the N.E. end of the Vasagata is the Valand exhibition-building,'
containing a school of drawing and painting. At the S.W. end of the
street is the Town Library, completed in 1900 (PL E, 4, 5; 100 000