Gustaf-Adolfs-Torg. GOTENBURG. 43. Route. 279
Steamhooats, see Sveriges Kommunikalioner, under 'Gdteborg' __Steam
Launches (Angslupar) from Skeppsbron (PI. D, 3) to Lindholmen (PI. A 3)
and Blasan (PI. A, 4) every t/4 hr.; to Klippan (comp. Map, p. 282) every
72 hr.; to Nya Varfvet hourly; also several times daily to the sea-baths
of Langedrag (in 72 hr.), Slyrsb' (in 50 min.), and Sard' (p. 283; in 77 hr.).
Baths. Warm, at the Renstromska Bad, Sodra Allegatan (PI. 7; D 4)-
Central-Bad, at Hot. Kronprinsen (see above). — River Baths by the bridge
to Hisingen (PI. E, 1). — Sea Baths, see above.
Banks (open 10-2). Riksbank, Sodra Hamngatan 27; Gbteborgs Bank, Lilla
Torg b, corner of Vestra Hamngatan; Skandinavisk Bank, Vestra Hamngatan 6.
Booksellers. N. J. Gumperts, W. Harlelius, Pilo, Wellergren & Kerber
(agents of the Svenska Turistforening), all in Sodra Hamngatan. — Photo¬
graphs : H. & G. Hasselblad, Sodra Hamngatan 39. — Costumes and fancy
articles: Svenska Konstslojd-Utstdllning, Sodra Hamngatan 45; Konstfliten
Nya Alle. — Nordisk Resebureau (Cook's agent), in Hot. Haglund '
Post Office (PI. E 2), Skeppsbro. - Telegraph (PI. E, 3), Vestra Hamn¬
gatan 15, corner of the Vallgata.
American Consul, Mr. Wm. H. Robertson. — British Consul, Mr. J Duff
English Church (St. Andrew's; p. 282), 11.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. '
Gotenburg (57° 42' N. lat.; 11° 58' E. long.), Swed. Gdteborg
(pron. Yoteborg), a thriving commercial and industrial city, and
next to Stockholm the chief town in Sweden, is the seat of a bishop
and of the Landshofding of Goteborgs-och-Bohus-Ldn. It lies in a
broad plain on the left bank of the great S. estuary of the Gbta-Elf,
and has an excellent harbour, rarely blocked with ice. The town was
founded in 1619 by Gustavus Adolphus. The Dutch settlers con¬
structed canals in their national style; many Scots and Germans
were also among the early colonists. The first strong impulse to its
commerce was given by the continental blockade (1806), when
Gotenburg formed the chief depot of British trade with the north
of Europe. Its commercial fleet of over 200 steamers trades all
over the world. The chief exports are iron-ore, iron and steel,
and timber, the last going mostly to Great Britain and France.
There are numerous iron, steel, and engine works, cotton-factories,
breweries, sugar-refineries, and ship-building yards. The popula¬
tion, which was 26,000 in 1840 and 76,400 in 1880, was 141,000
in 1906, or, including the E. suburbs of Gullbergs Vass, Stampen
and Gamlestaden, the S. and S.W. suburbs of Haga, Albostaden,
f^ Annedal, and theW. suburbs af Masthugget and Mdjorna, about
157,000. Like Stockholm (p. 309) the town stands on a rocky site,
entirely transformed by modern culture; but the rocky heights are
gradually being built over.
The old town was enclosed by a moat and intersected by canals,
the smaller of which have been filled up and converted into streets
since 1860. The Stora Hamnkanal (PI. D, E, F, 2) now alone
remains navigable. Opening off it in the centre of the old town
is the chief square, the Gustaf-AnoLFS-ToBG (PL E, F, 2) with
the Exchange, the Radhus, built by Nic. Tessin in 1670, but much
altered, and a Statue of Gustavus Adolphus (PI. 4), the founder of
Gotenburg, by Fogelberg (1854). This was the second statue cast
at Munich. The first was wrecked, but recovered by sailors of
Baedeker's Norway and Sweden. 9th Edit. 4g