25Y4: Route 42. HELSINGBORG. W. Coast from Malmo
of the Sound and evening concerts; also at Helsan (PI. B, 1), with its saline
spring and baths, 10 min. from the Radhus.
Post Office (PI. 1; B, 2), Stor-Torg. — Telegraph Office, by the
custom-house at the harbour.
Tramways from the N. end of the town, past the chief rail, station,
to the high E. suburbs (106.), and to the S. end of the town; also from
the rail, stat., S., to Ramlbsa and Ramlosabrunn (372 Kil.; p. 275), and thence
to the fishing village of R&a on the Sound.
Helsingborg, a thriving seaport with 33,410 inhab. and exten¬
sive quays, stretches at the foot and on the slope of a range of hills
(125 ft.) on the narrowest part of the Oresund or (Sound, here only
2l/2 M. wide, opposite Helsingor and the Kronborg (p. 424). The
Karnan, the finest point of view, may be visited in I1/2 hr.
The centre of the older part of the town is the market-place
(Stor-Torg; PL B, 2), which ascends from the harbour past the
modern Gothic Radhus. An equestrian statue of Count Magnus
Stenbock (PL 3; B, 2; 1664-1717), by H. Borjeson, erected in 1901,
recalls the victory of that Swedish general over the Danes who,
on Charles XII.'s defeat at the battle of Pultava (p. li), tried to
reconquer Skane. A little S. of the Stor-Torg is the Gothic Maria-
Kyrka (PL B, 2), of the 13th cent., restored in the interior in
1898. The Jervags-Gata leads S., past the station and the grounds
of the Krookska-Plantering (PI. B, 3), to a new quarter of the town
with numerous factories.
From the upper end of the market-place we ascend a broad
flight of steps and pass through a new gateway to the Karnan
(PL B, 1, 2), a conspicuous brick tower 102 ft. high, the relic of a
castle often mentioned in the wars of the Hansa. Its walls, 13 ft.
thick, are 197 ft. in circuit (adm. daily in summer from 8 to 8;
10 6.; but 25 0. from 11 to 2). The *View from the top (186 steps)
is finest by morning light (comp. Map, p. 424); to the N. rises the
Kullen. In front of the tower is 'Kung-Oskar-Terrass' (Restaur.,
p. 273). We may now leave the grounds on the N. side and descend
from the Villatomtvag to the Oresunds-Park (PL A, B, 1).
The Drottning-Gata (PL A, 1) leads N.W. to the good Sea Baths,
about 10 min. from the Fisk-Torg, and to several villas beyond:
To the right is the viaduct of the Gotenburg railway. On the coast,
about 5 Kil. N., is the royal chateau of Sofiero, and 3 Kil. farther
is Kulla Gunnarstorp, a chateau of Count Wachtmeister, built in
1870, adjoined by a mediaeval castle and a fine park.
An interesting Excursion may be taken to the promontory of
Kullen. We go by the Gothenburg railway to Kattarp (in about
1/2 hr.; p- 275); then by branch-line (17 Kil., in 3/4 hr.), past sev¬
eral small stations, to Hoganas (two stations; by the Ofre Station is
Hogenas Hot., good; by the Nedre Station, Schweitz's Hot.), an
industrial town of 5200 inhab., with old coal-mines and large fac¬
tories of fire-proof bricks, glazed tubes, etc.
The wooded headland of Kullen, jutting N.W. into the Kattegat