242 Route 35. SYD-VARANGER.
47 Kil. Nyborg (quarters and vehicles for the further journey
at the Landhandler's), on the Maskfjord, the inmost bay of the
Varanger Fjord, is a station of the local steamboats (Com. 430).
About 15 Kil. N. rises the Madevarre (1470 ft.; forest limit,
650 ft.). We next drive across the Seidafjeld (over which runs a
'Rengjserde', Lapp 'Aide', or fence to prevent the reindeer from
straying) to —
23 Kil. Seida, on the E. bank of the Tana-Elv, the second-
largest river in Norway, noted for its salmon and the particles
of gold it contains. The post-master (a Finn) sells curiosities at
We row across to the W. bank, on which the road descends.
At Maskjock the Rapp-Elv, a tributary of the Tana-Elv, is crossed.
We pass Bonakas and then the church of Tana, at the foot of the
Algas-Varre ('holy mount'; 1906 ft.).
31 Kil. Guldholmen ('gold island'; quarters), an islet close to
The road ends, 2^2 Kil. further, at Tananas, from which we
row to (li/4hr.) Vagge or to (2 hrs.) Smalfjorden (p. 240). No
quarters at these three places.
Mail Steamer from Vadstf (Line I; Com. 226) to Kirkenes once weekly
in 2 hrs.; Local Steamer (Com. 429, 430) twice a week. The Syd-Varan¬
ger is rich in timber, fish, and sea-fowl. In this district we see the
Lapps and the industrious Finns io advantage (see Friis's Finmarken). The
explorer should have a veil ('Sl/Jr'), covering the whole head and fastened
round the neck, and if possible a mosquito-tent ('Raggas') also, as gnats
occur in such swarms as sometimes to darken the sun.
One local steamer (Com. 429) goes by Kiberg (p. 241) to Kir¬
kenes. The other (Com. 430) steers first to Bugenses (good quar¬
ters at the Landhandler's), at the mouth of the Bug0fjord, which
runs far inland. On the W. side of the fjord rises the Bug0nasfjeld
(1513 ft.), on the E. the Brasfjeld (1476 ft.). On the right opens
the almost uninhabited Kjefjord. We skirt the N. side of the bare
Skogere and touch at Kjelmese, at the mouth of the Beg fjord,
which is entered both by the local and the mail-steamers.
The Begfjord, to the E. of the Skogere, with its S. arms the
Klosterelv-Fjord and the Lang-Fjord, is the largest and most im¬
portant fjord in Syd-Varanger. On the point between the Kloster-
elv and Lang fjords lies Kirkenes, with the church and parsonage
of Syd-Varanger (rooms at Landhandler Figenschou's), a rapidly
increasing place since the discovery of iron-ore at Boris-Gleb, to
which a railway is being constructed. — To the S.E., 5 Kil. up
the Klosterelv-Fjord, lies Elvenses (rooms at A. Klerck's), a station
of the local steamers, at the mouth of the large Pasvik-Elv or
Kloster-Elv (named after an old monastery at Peisen), which forms