240 R. 34. — Map, p. 228. VARD0. From the North Cape
in a small bay to the E., and of which he is the only inhabitant
He derives a good income from the sale of the sea-fowls' eggs.
The Laxefjord, which runs inland on the E. side of the Spirte-
Njarga, is served by the local steamers only (p. 236). The mail-
steamers next make for^the Kjellefjord, a bay on the W. coast of
the large peninsula of Corgas-Njarga (pron. tshorgash). On the
S. side of the entrance to the bay rises the Store Finkirke, a huge
rock, once revered by the Lapps; and further up the fjord is the
Lille Finkirke. The vertical strata of sandstone here are note¬
worthy. At the head of the fjord is the station of Kjellefjord,
with a church and several houses and Lapp huts ('Gammer'). To
the right we observe an old coast-line (p. xxxii).
Leaving the Kjellefjord, we next steer round the Redevag ('red
wall') to the station of Skjetningberg, and along the abrupt coast
to the headland Nordkyn (768 ft.; 71°8'2" N. lat.; 27°39'57" E.
long.), the northmost point of the mainland of Europe. The masses
of quartzose rock, broken into enormous slabs, have an imposing
effect. Next, on the right, we see the headlandSmerbringa (423 ft.).
The next small stations are Mehavn and Gamvik. Then,
passing Omgang and the station of Finkongkjeilen, we enter the
Tanafjord, an inlet nearly 70 Kil. long, which is served by the
mail-steamers of Line I and by a local boat from Varde (Com. 428).
The E. bank is composed of variegated quartzose rock. On the
W. is the Hopsfjord, up which we have a glimpse, across the narrow
Hopseid, of the distant Laxefjord. The hills to the E. of the fjord
increase in height, culminating in the Stangenestind (2375 ft.).
To the W., farther on, is Digermulen, a peninsula separating the
Tanafjord from the Langfjord; to the S. rises the distant Algas-
Varre (p. 242). above Guldholmen. The stations of Vagge and
Smalfjorden are called at alternately.
The other mail-boat steers direct from Finkongkjeilen, round
the Tanahorn (883 ft.), which rises at the N. end of the peninsula
of Rago-Njarga, to Berlevaag, Makur, Syltefjord (with its 'bird-
hill'), Havningberg, and —
50 S.M. Vardo (Fru 0ien's Hot.; Midtgaard's Hot; Brit. Vice-
Consul, J. G. Gundersen), a town of 2600 inhab., with neat turf-
roofed houses and little vegetable gardens, the chief fishing-station
in Finmarken. It lies in N. lat. 70° 22' 35" and E. long. 30° 7' 24",
on an island separated from the mainland by the Bussesund, between
two harbours, the larger and deeper on the N. side, protected
by a breakwater. In 1769 the Jesuit father Max Stell observed
the transit of Venus here, as recorded in the church register. On
21st July, 1893, Dr. Frithjof Nansen set sail from Varde in the
'Fram', and here, on 13th Aug., 1896, he and his companion, Fred.
Hjalmar Johansen, first set foot on Norwegian soil on their return,
landing from the British yacht 'Windward', which had brought
them from Franz-Joseph-Land.