to Tromse. TROMS0. Map, p.228.—32. R. 231
Andersen's, near the pier. — Lapp Costomes, etc., at Figenschaii's, near
the quay. — Gloves at Th. KratochviVs (information of every kind). —
British Vice-Consul, U. Aagaard.
The Local Steamers, well fitted up, of the 'Troms0-Amts-Dampskibs-
Selskab', ply to the Ulfsfjord, Lyngenfjord, Reisenfjord, and Kvenangsfjord;
also to Harstad, the Balsfjord, Ofotenfjord, etc. (Com. 416-21), thus offering
Tromse, a town of 8000 inhab., the seat of an Amtmand and a
bishop, with a training-college, and several churches and schools,
lies on the island of that name,' in 69° 38' N. latitude. It was
raised to the rank of a town in 1794, and is now a busy place, ex¬
porting large quantities of dried and smoked herrings and other
flsh, train-oil, fur, etc., and trading largely with Russia. Many
vessels for the capture of seals and walruses are also fitted up here.
In the market-place ('Torvet') are the Town Hall and the Rom.
Cath. Church. In the S. part of the town is the large timber-built
Prot. Church. On a hill outside the town is the handsome Museum
('Musaeet'; adm. 50 e.; Sun. 12-1 free), completed in 1894, with
admirably arranged natural history and ethnographical collections.
— The vegetation here is wonderfully rich. Mountain-ashes, wild
cherry-trees, birches, etc., attain great size and luxuriance.
On the hill above the town is a birch-grove, adjoined by the
public grounds of Alfheim, where all Tromse assembles in the even¬
ing. Numerous villas. We ascend by the Sparebank, and turn to
the left at the parting of the ways. The right branch leads to the
Prastevand, a small lake which supplies the town with water. —
The road to the Charlottenlund also affords a pretty walk: ascend
from the Torv, follow the road to the right above the Town Hall,
and ascend to the left.
An Excursion to the Lapp Camp in the Tromsdal (3-4 hrs.,
there and back) is not within the programme of the tourist-steamers.
Motor-launch (10 e.) across the strait to Storstennas, at the en¬
trance to the Tromsdal. The path up the valley cannot be mistaken
(3/4 hr.). The ground is rough and marshy at places. We pass
through a birch-wood on the S. bank of the brawling glacier-stream,
and at length reach a broad basin, with the Tromstind forming
the E. background.
The Lapp Camp contains a colony of several Lapp families
from Swedish Lapplandt. Their dwellings, called 'Darfe Goattek'
+ By the treaties of 1751, 1905 and 1909 the Swedish Lapps are en¬
titled to migrate to the Norwegian coast in summer, and the Norwegian
Lapps to Sweden in winter. These migrations often lead to disputes with
the permanent inhabitants. The number of Lapps in Norway is estimated
at 21,000, of whom 1700 only are still nomadic. Sweden and Russia con¬
tain about 12,000 more. The Lapps now intermarry freely with Nor¬
wegians and Finns. In Norway they are often called Finner, while the
Finns are named Kvcener, from the 'Ian' of Kajana in Finland.
Among works on the Lapps may be mentioned: Milford's 'Norway and
her Laplanders', 1842; Everest's 'Journey through Norway, Lapland, etc.',
1829; G. von Duben's 'Om Lappland och Lapparne', Stockholm, 1873; Friis's