224 R.31. — Map,p.2l2. LOFOTEN ISLANDS.
on the Nappstrem, the two last served by the local boats only. On
the W. side of the island is the church of Flakstad. Near Sund is
the Kvalvig ('whale-creek'), a natural trap for whales, which used
to enter the creek at high tide and could not get out again.
Beyond the Napstrem is the large Vestvaage (157 sq. M.). On
a small island at the S. end is Balstad (Foshoug's Hot.), a fishing-
port, backed by the Skotstind (2214 ft.); then Mortsund, at the
mouth of the Buksnasfjord, and Leknes, on its innermost branch;
lastly Stamsund (Stamsund's Hot.), all mail-boat stations. The
local boats also call at Gravdal, by the church of Buksnas, at Ure,
E. of the great headland Urebjerget (1100 ft.), and Valberg. Good
Toads connect the villages on the Vestvaage. Among the hills on
the island the Himmeltinder (3166 ft.) are conspicuous.
The Gimsestrem, flanked with finely shaped mountains, sepa¬
rates the Vestvaage from the 0stvaager [209 sq. M.), the largest
of the Lofoten Islands. On an islet off the S.W. point of the 0st-
vaage lies Henningsvaer (Jensen's Hot), a station of the mail-
steamers, a great fishery centre, and the usual residence of the naval
officer who superintends it. Near it is a guano - factory. Above
towers the Vaagekalle (3091 ft.). Off the island lie the rocky islets
Flesene, Grundskallen, and Vestvar, all noted fishing-grounds. On
the S. coast of the 0stvaage is the station of —-
Kabelvaag (Jespersen's Hot, good), the largest fishing-port in
the Lofoten Islands, with the hamlets of Storvaagen and Kirkevaagen.
Hans Egede, the missionary of Greenland, was pastor here in 1705-
18. The present church of Vaagen was built in 1898. A road leads
from Kabelvaag through fine rocky scenery to (1 hr.) the fishermen's
huts of dsan, opposite Svolvaer, to which we may ferry in 74 hr.
Svolvaer (Hot. Lofoten, good; British Vice-Consul, J. Berg), on
a peninsula on the S. coast of the 0stvaage, another busy fishing-
harbour, is the most important steamboat-station on the Lofoten
Islands, and the starting-point of the Lofoten and Vesteraalen
local steamers (p. 222). One of the 'Rorboder' (p. 223) may be in¬
spected here. Here, too, is another guano-factOTy. On the islet of
Svine, opposite the pier (ferry there and back 40 e.), is the studio
of the late painter Gunnar Berg (d. 1894), containing a few of his
paintings and sketches (adm. free on application). His tomb is in
the islet of Gunnarholm, to which a bridge leads from the Svine.
To the N. rises the Blaatind (1959 ft.), ascended in 3 hrs. (there
arid back 5 hTS.), a splendid point of view, from which the midnight
sun is visible between 28th May and 14th July. The following
ascents are more toilsome: to the E. of the 0stnasfjord, which cuts
deep into the 0stvaage to the N. of Svolvaer, the Rulten (3484 ft.;
very difficult), and further N. the Gjeitgaljarlind (3557 ft.) and the
Higrafstinder (3810 ft.), the two last of which descend abruptly to
the Troldvand. — Opposite SvolvEer, E., are the islands of Skrooen,