158 Route 22. RAUFJORDHEIM. Jotunheim.
Uradal (p. 146). To the E. it sends forth two glaciers, the Uranaasbrae,
already mentioned, and the Melkedalsbrce, the E. arm of which descends
into the Melkedal (p. 166), while the N. arm, divided by the Melkedals-
pigge and furrowed with crevasses, descends partly into the Melkedal, and
partly into the Skogadal (p. 167).
h. From Fagernees to Raufjordheim, and up Lake Bygdin
Two days. lst Day. Drive to (51 Kil.) Raufjordheim. — 2nd Day.
Ascend the Bitihorn early, 3-4 hrs. there and back ; row up Lake Bygdin
to Eidsbugaren in 6-8 hrs. This approach to the Jotunheim is apt to be
tedious owing to the long and sometimes windy passage of Lake Bygdin,
but the placing of a steam-launch on that lake would overcome this
Fagernas, see p. 52. — The road, which diverges to the right
from the Valders route at the Fagerlund Hotel, ascends the valley of
the 0stre-Slidre-ELv, running a little way from the left bank of the
stream. Nearly level at first, it rapidly ascends through wood. To
the left, below, lies the Salbo-Fjord, with several gaards high above
it, and snow-mountains in the distance. We pass, on the right, the
loftily situated church of Skrutvold or Skrantvaal and (farther on)
that of Rogne. Below us, to the left, is the Voldbo-Fjord, at the
N. end of which is the church of Voldbo, whence a good road leads
to the left, over the Slidreaas, to (26 Kil.) Fosheim and (20 Kil.)
Leken (see p. 53).
Our road crosses the Vinde-Elv, and then skirts the Haggefjord.
23 Kil. *Haeggenses Hotel. — To the E. rise the Méllene moun¬
tains, the W. slope of which is the 0iangenshei, a splendid point
of view (ascent 3-3'/2 hrs. ; guide 1 kr. 60 e.).
The road now ascends steeply to Hagge and the chief church of
0stre Slidre, an old 'Stavekirke' (p. 28), existing at least as early
as 1327, but largely rebuilt. To the left is the gaard of Northorp.
Farther on, also to the left, are the Dalsfjord and the Merstafjord,
connected by a river with each other and with the Hedalsfjord.
11 Kil. Skammestein. Farther on the road runs above the Hedals¬
fjord. Beyond Okshovd, where a road to the Hedel-Saeters diverges
to the right, the main road bends to the left towards Lake 0iangen.
Fine view of the lake, with the Slettefjeld, Mugnatind, and Biti¬
horn (p. 159). We pass the Beito-Saters.
The continuation of the road to Lake Bygdin, opened in 1897
and not yet marked on our Map (p. 141), ascends gradually and
crosses a marshy plateau enclosed by mountains. To the W. is the
Mugnatind, and to the N. the Bitihorn (p. 159), on the E. side
of which the road leads through a pass. Farther on it crosses the
Vinstra, the discharge of Lake Bygdin, and ends at the —
17 Kil. (pay for 25) Hole-Sater on the Holesund. The Hotel
Jotunheim is to be opened here, but in the meanwhile travellers
turn to the left before crossing the Vinstra and proceed to —
Raufjordheim (Knut Lekken's Inn), a refuge-hut at the E. end