to Los Angeles. VENTURA. 97. Route. 563
Santa Rosa (31 M.). The former is the larger of the two and is inhabited
by a few farmers. The beautiful Abalone shells are found in great abun¬
dance on these islands. — In the bed of the ocean, about 10 M. to the N.W.
of Santa Barbara and I1/2 M. from shore, is a huge spring of petroleum, the
oil from which may be seen floating on the surface in calm weather, one
of many similar sub-marine oil wells on this coast.
Steamees ply regularly from Santa Barbara to (280 M.) San Francisco
(p. 543), San Diego (p. 572), San Pedro (p. 568), etc.
Beyond Santa Barbara our line passes through Montecito (p. 562)
to (378 M.) Summerland, where the presence of sub-marine oil-wells
is evident. At (382 M.) Carpinteria, and beyond, we run close to the
sea, the mountains at places barely leaving room for the tracks (views
to the right).
400 M. Ventura, the railroad name for San Buenaventura (45 ft.;
Rose, from $2; Anacapa, from $ IY2), a city of 2460 inhab., pleas¬
antly situated at the mouth of the valley of the Ventura, carries on
a large trade in lima beans (a staple food along the coast) and other
vegetables, fruits, nuts, sugar-beets, grain and petroleum oil. It is
also a health-resort. Its electric car lines run in many directions
inland. The well-preserved chapel of the Spanish Mission (founded
1782) dates from 1809 and is still in use.
A branch-line runs hence to the N. to (15 M.) Nordhoff (Hotel Ojai,
from $ 2), a mountain village in the beautiful "Ojai Valley ('Ohigh'), at
a height of 600-1200ft., surrounded by an amphitheatre of mountains, of
which Mt. Topotapa (6C00ft.) is the chief. This valley is a favourite winter
resort for invalids, and is, perhaps, the richest in wild flowers of any spot
405 M. Montalvo is the junction of the line (formerly the main
route) to Saugus.
From Montalvo to Sadgus, 45 M., railway in l'/2 hr. This line runs
to the E. up the Santa Clara Valley (not to be confused with the valley of
the same name farther to the N.; see p. 557). At (4 M.) Saticoy we lose
sight of the sea. 11 M. Santa Paula, a busy little place, in the midst of
truck-farms, small vineyards, and grazing fields. We cross the Santa Clara
River near (28 M.) Piru, a pretty town among orange, lemon, and pepper
trees. At (30 31.) Camulos, on the right, is seen the home of 'Ramona',
a typical Spanish ranch. •— 40 M. Castaic. The mountains now close in;
on the N. are the foot hills of the San Rafael range, on the S. the higher
peaks of the Sierra San Fernando. — 45 M. Saugus, the junction of the
San Joaquin Valley line (see p. 566).
From Montalvo the coast-line runs to the S.E. to (409 M.)
Oxnard (2000 inhab.), situated amid a fertile sugar-beet country and
containing large sugar-factories. We now turn to the E. to (439 M.)
Santa Susana, in a narrow valley between the Sierra San Fernando
on the N. and the Sierra de Santa Monica on the S. About 4 M.
farther on, we enter a newly cut tunnel, l1/2 M. long. At (447 M.)
Chatsworth Park, the first town in Los Angeles County and the centre
of a famed hay-district, are the vast quarries that supply the stone
for the government breakwater at San Pedro (see p. 568). Here the
line reaches the Los Angeles River, crossing it at (457 M.) Encino,
and runs following its left hank through a dry sandy valley to (466 M.)
Burbunk, on the San Joaquin Valley line (p. 566). Hence to —
476 M. Los Angeles, see p. 566.