to Los Angeles. MONTEREY. 97. Route. 559
leads to the S. to (95 M.) Hollister and (101 M.) Tres Pinos, a centre
of the grain and cattle trade. — Our line bends to the W. and runs
towards the coast. 100 M. Pajaro ('Paharo'), the junction of the line
to Santa Cruz.
From Pajaro to Santa Cruz, 21 M., railway in 1 hr. — This line runs
to the N.W., with the pointed Loma Prieta ('Black Mt.; 3790ft.), one of
the loftiest of the Santa Cruz Mts., rising to the right. 13 M. Aplos and
(16 M.) Capitola are two resorts on Monterey Bay. 20 M. Santa Cruz Beach.
— 21 M. Santa Cruz, see p. 555.
Beyond Pajaro our line runs to the S.W. through a valley shut in
by ravined hills to (110 M.) Castroville, the junction of the branch-
line to Monterey, the Hotel del Monte, and Pacific Grore.
Fbom Casteoville to Mokteeey and Pacific Geove, 17 M., railway
in sfi hr. Through unlimited tickets between San Francisco and Los Angeles
(see p. 556) allow a stop-over at Del Monte on payment of the return-fare
(90 c.) between Castroville and Del Monte. A special ticket (price $22)
covers the journey from San Francisco to Los Angeles, the de'tour to Del
Monte, and two days board at the hotel . Week-end return-tickets (Sat. to
Mon.) from San Francisco to Del Monte, including hotel board, are also
sold for $10.
This branch-line leaves the orchards and meadows through which we
have been journeying, runs between the sand-dunes and chaparral that
fringe the shore of Monterey Bay , and crosses the Salinas River near its
mouth. 14 M. Del Monte, see below; 15 M. Monterey, see below. — 17 M.
Pacific Grove (Hotel El Carmelo, from $ 2, under the same management as
the Del Monte), a seaside n sort also connected with Monterey and Del
Monte by an electric tramway sk rting the coast.
Monterey (Monterey Hotel, R. from $1), situated on the S. side of the
bay of that name, 85 M. from San Francisco by sea, contains 1748 inhab.,
largely of Spanish blood, and is one of the quaintest of Californian towns,
its atmosphere still drowsy with the Spanish-Mexican spirit of ipocotiempo\
Its site was visited by the Spaniards in 1602, but it was not until 1770
that the Mission de San Carlos de Monterey was founded on this spot.
Monterey was the capital of California before and for a while after its con¬
quest by the Americans in 1846, but with the removal of the seat of govern¬
ment went the commercial importance and life of the little town, which
is now one of the quietest places in the State. It is, however, extensively
visited on account ot its balmy climate (warm in winter and cool in sum¬
mer ; mean temp, of Jan. ca. 50°, of June, July, and Aug. 60-64°), its
beautiful sandy beach, and its charming surroundings. Many of its build¬
ings are of adobe\ Some remains of the old Spanish fort still remain,
while the Roman Catholic Church occupies the site of the Mission, which
was removed to Carmelo Valley in 1771 (see p. 560). The historic Custom
House of Spanish and early American rule is well preserved. The house
in which Robert Louis Stevenson lived in 1878 is pointed out. Colton Hall
was the first capitol of California.
The *Hotel del Monte ('Hotel of the Forest), '/3 M. from the above
mentioned station and one of the most comfortable, best-kept, and most
attractive hotels in America, lies in the midst of exquisite "Grounds,
in some ways recalling the fine country parks of England, though, of
course, the vegetation is very different. Among the noble old trees which
surround it are innumerable live-oaks and Monterey pines and cypresses,
while the "Gardens offer a continual feast of colour. One section of the
gardens, known as 'Arizona', is devoted to cacti of all kinds, and in
another part of the grounds is a Maze of cypress hedges. A little to the N.
of the hotel is the pretty little boating lake named the Laguna del Rey,
while on the beach, t/iM. from the hotel, is a large Bathing House, in¬
cluding four swimming-basins and hot water tanks. Nearly opposite the
hotel is the Hotel del Monte Club House, and near by are Golf Links and