548 Route 95. SAN FKANCISCO. . Presidio.
early town. — The Mercantile Library (PI. E, 4), the oldest library
in the state (1853), with an excellent collection of 80,000 vols., is in¬
stalled in a handsome and well-equipped building in Sutter St. — At
24 Fourth St. is the building of the Society of Californian Pioneers
(PI. F, 4). — The California Eye cf Ear Hospital (PI. E, 3) is in
Sutter St. — In Portsmouth Square (PI. F, 2), bounded by Kearny,
Washington, Dupont, and Clay Sts. and Brenham Place, is a monument
(by Bruce Porter and Willis Polk) to Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-94),
in the form of a Spanish galleon on a granite pedestal. On the W.
side of the square stands the Hall of Justice, an excellent new
building. ■— A little to the N.W. is Washington Square (PI. F, 2),
where the Russian Church, like the neighbouring Russian Hill (W.),
keeps alive the memory of the Russian traders.
One of the most interesting historical relics of San Francisco is
the old Mission Dolores (PI. D, 7; see p. 545), at the corner of Do¬
lores and 16th Sts. (reached by 16th St. cars, with transfer from
Valencia St. or Mission St. lines). The old church, dating from
about 1778, is built of adobe' ('adoby'), and is adjoined by a tangled
and neglected little churchyard. Adjacent is a new R. C. church of
no special interest, and opposite is the imposing College of Notre
Dame (R. C).
Among the educational institutions of San Francisco may he
mentioned the Cooper Medical College (PI. C, D, 3); the handsome
buildings of the Medical and Legal Departments of the University
of California, known as the Affiliated Colleges, near Golden Gate Park
(PI. A, 7; comp. p. 550); the Cogswell Polytechnic School (cor.
Folsom and 26th Sts.); the California School of Mechanical Arts
(Utah St., PI. F, 6; founded by Mr. James Lick, p. 558); the Boys' High
School (PI. D, 3); the Girls' High School (cor. Geary and Scott Sts.;
PI. O, 4); and the Mission High School, an attractive building at the
corner of 18th and Dolores Sts. (PI. D, 7). San Francisco possesses
about 100 Kindergartens, 20 of which are endowed in perpetuity.
The Central Kindergarten, 560 Union St., is probably the most
perfectly equipped in the world.
The Presidio (PI. A, 1, 2), or Government Military Reservation
(approached by the California St., Union St., or Jackson St. cable
cars), garrisoned by two regiments of U. S. infantry, besides cavalry
and coast artillery, has an area of 1500 acres and stretches along the
Golden Gate for about 4 M. Its walks and drives afford beautiful
views, the finest, perhaps, being that from Fort Point or Winfield
Scott. A military band plays at the Presidio on Mon., Wed., & Frid.,
3-4 p.m. — There is another small military reservation at Black
Point (PL D, 1; reached by Union St. cars), with Fort Mason.
'Nob Hill' was the name given about 1870 to that section of
CALrFoRNrA Street between Powell St. and Leavenworth St. (PI. E,
F, 3), as containing many of the largest private residences in San