City Hall. SAN FRANCISCO. 95. Route. 547
'WhiteleyV of San Francisco, and also houses the Callfornia Histori¬
cal Society (good library). On the right, at the corner of Powell St.,
is the large Flood Building.
The three learned societies just mentioned offer much that is of interest
to the scholarly visitor, and the historical student should also inspect some
of the old Spanish grants in the Surveyor General s Office (612 Commercial St.).
Powell St. leads to Union Square (PI. F, 3), with the St. Francis Hotel
(p. 543) and a Naval Monument ccmmemnrating (he exploits of the U. S.
fleet in the Philippines during the war with Spain (1898).
At the junction of Market St. with Mason St. (PI. F, 4) is a
Monument, by Douglas Tilden, commemorating the admission of
California to the Union (1850). [In Mason St. is the Y. M. C. A.
Building.] At the corner of Taylor St. is the Donahue Building. To
the left, at the corner of 7th St. (PI. E, 4), is the Grant Building and
opposite stands the tall clock-tower of the Odd Fellows Hall, and
between them we catch a glimpse of the long frontage of the new
Post Office (PI. E, F, 4; p. 544). — Just beyond this corner we reach
a small triangular park,with the large Californian Monument, designed
by Frank Happerslrerger and presented to the city by Mr. James Lick
(comp. p. 558). Adjoining this park, on the spot that served as the
pioneer burial-ground of Yerba Buena, stands the large City Hall
(PI. E, 4, 5), an effective and original structure, erected in 1892-96
at a cost of over $ 4,000,000 (800,000?.). It contains a Free Public
Library, with 153,000 volumes. — Farther along Market St. are the
Mechanics' Pavilion (PI. E, 5), a large hall belonging to the Mechanics'
Institute (31 Post St., with a library of 116,000 vols.), and the im¬
portant Church and College of St. Ignatius (PI. E, 5).
The V. S. Branch Mint (PI. F, 4), in 5th St., at the corner of
Mission St., contains interesting machinery and a collection of coins
and relics (adm. on week-days, 9-12). In 1903 it coined bullion
to the value of $36,266,716 in U. S. currency, besides 'Philippine
money' to the value of 41,361,000 pesos.
Among the other chief buildings in the business-quarter are the
Stock Exchange (PI. F, 3), 329 Pine St.; the Merchants' Exchange
(PI. F, 3), and the Bank of California (PI. F, 3), California St.; the
First National Bank (PI. F, 3), at the corner of Bush and Sansome
Sts. The Crocker Building, the lofty Mills Building, the Hayward
Building, and the Offices of the Southern Pacific Railway are in Mont¬
gomery St. (PI. F, 1-3), the first and principal thoroughfare of the
early town. — The *California Market (PI. F, 3), extending from
California St. to Pine St., presents a wonderful show of fruits and
vegetables (best in the early morning). — Mission Street (PI. E-H,
5-3) contains the headquarters of the colossal Wells, Fargo, fy Co.
express agency, the tall Rialto Building, and many wholesale houses.
— A bronze tablet at No. 219 Sacramento St. (PI. G, 2), marks the
site of 'Fort Gunnybags', the headquarters of the Vigilance Committee
of 1856 (comp. p. 545). — At the corner of Battery and Washington
Sts. stands the Custom House (PI. F, 2), a characteristic relic of the