392 Route 60. ST. LOUIS. University.
and Spruce, lith, and 12th Sts., are the so-called Four Courts
(PL H, 2), built on the model of the Louvre, with a large semi¬
circular gaol at the back. — A little to the N. of the City Hall runs
the busy Olivb Street (PL E-H, 2), which we may follow to the
left to the Coliseum (PL G, 2), a building with 15,000 seats, used
for exhibitions, concerts, and conventions; or to the right (E.) to
Broadway, passing the Post Office (PL G, 2) on the left. Among the
numerous substantial business-buildings in this part of Olive St.
are the Star (N.W. cor. of 12th St.), Century (9th St.; N.W. cor.),
Frisco (9th St. ; S.W), Chemical (8th St.; N.E.), Missouri Trust
(7th St.; N.W.; view from the roof, adm. 25 c), Commercial (6th St.;
S.E.), Laclede (4th St.; S.W.), Commonwealth Trust (Broadway;
N.E.), and National Bank of Commerce (Broadway; S.E.). In
Broadway (PL G, H, 2-4), at the corner of Locust St., is the Mer¬
cantile Library (PL H, 2), which contains 130,000 vols., statues by
Miss Hosmer, etc.
Other important buildings in this business-section of the city are the
Security Building (at the S.W. cor. of 4th Si Locust Sts.); the Mercantile Trust
Co., by Isaac Taylor, at the N.E. cor. of 8th & Locust Sts. (with vaults
closed by a circular steel door of marvellous mechanism weighing 472 tons);
the "St. Louis Union Trust Co., by J. L. Mauran, at the N.W. corner of 4th &
Locust Sts.; the Mercantile Club (PL H, 2), S.E. cor. of 7th & Locust Sts.;
the Public Library (PL G, 2; 175,000 vols.), Locust St., cor. of 9th St.; the
Lincoln Trust and Wainwright Buildings, cor. of 7th & Chestnut Sts.; and
the Missouri Pacific Building, N.W. cor. of Market & 7th Sts.
A street-car on Washington Ave. or Olive St. will bring us
near the present temporary buildings of *Washington University
(PL F,2), situated at the corner of Beaumont (27th) and Locust Sts.
This university is notable for the width of its charter, which includes
an ordinary undergraduate department, schools of engineering, fine arts,
law, medicine, dentistry, and botany, a manual training school, and schools
for boys and girls. It is attended by about 1200 University students and
The new buildings of Washington University, to the W. of Forest
Park (beyond PL A, 1), which will be used for academic purposes on the
expiration of their temporary occupation by the officials of the Louisiana
Exposition, are certainly among the most successful and appropriate groups
of collegiate buildings in tbe New World. They were designed by Messrs.
Cope & Stewardson in a Tudor-Gothic style and enclose several quadrangles.
The material is red Missouri granite. Among the buildings already com¬
pleted are University Hall, the Chemical & Physical Laboratories, the Architec¬
tural and Engineering Bu'ldings, the Library (with a fine reading-room),
various Dormitories, and the Gymnasium (at the extreme W. end of the uni¬
versity grounds, llO acres in extent). Among the chief donors, whose
generosity made possible this expansion of the university, are Mr. Samuel
Cupples, Mr. Robt. S. Brookings, Mr. Adolphus Busch, and Sirs. J. E. Liggett.
At the corner of Locust and 19th Sts. is the handsome Museum
of Fine Arts (PI. F, 2; open 9.30-6; adm. 25 c.; free on Frid. & Sat.
and on Sun. afternoon; closed on Mon. & Sun. forenoons).
The contents include large collections of Casts (incl. the iEgina Marbles)
and Electrotype Reproductions and well-ehosen selections of Pottery, Glass,
Ivory Carvings, Lace, Wood and Metal Work, etc Among the pictures are
several by Carl Wimar (1829-63), a St. Louis artist who painted character¬
istic Western scenes from nature. — The building is also the seat of the
Art School of the university (see above).