Court House. ST. LOUIS. GO. Route. 391
in the names of some of its streets and leading families. Louis XV. had
just ceded the territory to the E. of the Mississippi to England, while at
the same time be had made a secret treaty, transferring the W. bank to
Spain. It was not till 1770, however, that Spanish authority was estab¬
lished at St. Louis. In 1804 St. Louis, the population of which was still
below 1000, passed to the United States, with the rest of the territory then
known as Louisiana. This was the signal for immigration from the States,
and the English-speaking inhabitants soon outnumbered the French.
St. Louis was incorporated in 1809 and by 1831 had 6000 inhabitants. In
1840 the population had swollen to 16,469, in 1859 to 185,000, in 1880 to
350,522, and in 1890 to 451,770. On May 27th, 1896, St. Louis was visited
by a terrific tornado, which destroyed 300 lives and property to the value
of $ 10,000,00;). The floods of 1903 raised the river 38 ft., broke the levee,
and did great damage in E. St. Louis (p. 377). In 1904 St. Louis was the
scene of the Louisiana Exposition, held to commemorate the centenary of
the purchase of Louisiana from France (see above). — In the first week
of October St. Louis is the scene of a popular Fair, which attracts many
visitors. During tbe so-called Fall Festivities one night is devoted to the
Procession of the Veiled Prophet, in the style of the Mardi Gras at New
Orleans (p. 461). The ball in honour of the Veiled Prophet, held in the
Merchants' Exchange (p. 392), is the society event of the year.
Trade and Industry. St. Louis' position in the centre of tbe great
Mississippi Valley gives it an immense trade, among the staples of which
are bread-stuffs, packed meats, tobacco, livestock, timber, grain, wool, furs,
etc. In manufactures St. Louis ranks fourth among American cities, pro¬
ducing goods in 19C0 valued at $233,630,000 (46,728,0001.) and employing
82,700 hands. It is the chief tobacco-making city in the world (90 million
pounds annually), and also produces immense quantities of beer, flour,
boots and sboes, hardware, stoves, railway and tramway cars, wooden
wares, bricks, drugs, biscuits ('crackers'), etc. The Anheuser-Busch Brewery
(PL G, 4), cor. of 9th and Pestalozzi Sts., employs 5000 men and produces
1,200,000 barrels of beer annually. Strangers may also be interested by
visits to the Horse <t Mule Market (E. St. Louis; one of the greatest mule
.markets in the world; comp. p. 396); to the Simmons Hardware Store
(Broadway and Charles St.; warehouse at Cupples Station); and to the
Cupples Wooden Ware Co. The last-named is also at Cupples Station (PL G, 2),
a large goods-station at the corner of Spruce & 7th Sts., surrounded by a
group of huge buildings constructed to facilitate direct shipment from the
warehouses to the trains. Cupples Station now belongs to the University.
The Meyer Brothers Drug Co. (4th St. & Clark Ave.; drugs and perfumes)
is also interesting.
Eugene Field (1850-95), the poet and journalist, was born in St. Louis,
probably in a house at the corner of 4th & Cerre St. (PI. H, 3).
The Court House (PL II, 2), in Broadway, between Market and
Chestnut Sts., is a large and substantial building in the form of a
Greek cross. It is surmounted by a dome (176 ft. high), the gallery
of which commands an excellent view of the city and river (open till
4 p.m.). The building contains some frescoes by Wimar (seep. 393).
A little to the E., in 3rd St., cor. of Chestnut St., is the Merchants'
Exchange (PL H, 2), the main hall of which, with a painted ceiling,
is 220 ft. long (business-hours 10-1.15 p.m.; gallery open to visi¬
tors). The grand ball of the Veiled Prophet (see above) is held here.
— The Cotton Exchange (PL H, 2) is at the corner of Main and
By following Market St. to the W. from the Court House we
soon reach the square named Washington Park, with the City Hall
(PL G, 2). A little to the S., in the square enclosed by Clark Ave,