390 Route (JO. ST. LOUIS. Theatres.
In running E. and W. it is easy for the passenger to recognize his where
abouts by the numbers on the houses; thus, 916 Olive St. must be between
9th and 10th Sts. The St. Louis tram - cars are excellent, and some of
them can be used either closed or open. — Carriages. With one horse, for
1 M. 25c. for each pers., each addit. mile 25c. for 1-2 pers.; per hr.
(1-2 pers.) 75 c, outside tbe 3 M. radius $1. With two horses, 50 c each
for 1st mile, 25 c. each for each addit. mile, per hr. $ I72, each addit. hr.
$ 1. Each package carried outside 10 c. Waiting (one stop of 5 min. free)
10 c. per 10 min., 75 c. per hour. — Ferries to East St. Louis from foot of
Market St., Carr St., and Spruce St. — Steamers ply to points on the
Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee, etc.
Theatres. Olympic (PL H, 2), Broadway; Century (PI. G, 2), Olive St.;
Crawford (PL G, 2), Locust St., cor. of 14th St.; Havlin's (PL G, 2),
Standard (PL G, 2); Walnut St.; Imperial (PL G, 2), cor. of Pine and 10th
Sts.; Columbia (PL H, 2), cor. of St. Charles and 6th Sts.; Grand Opera
(PL H, 2), Market St. (continuous vaudeville performances). — The Odeon
(PL E, 1), Grand Ave., is a large and fine hall used for concerts, dramatic
performances, etc. (German performances twice weekly). — The following
are Summer Theatres: Uhrig's Cave (PI. F, 2), Washington Ave., cor. of
Jefferson Ave.; The Suburban, at the terminus of the St. Louis Si Suburban
Railway, Forest Park Highlands (PL B, 2, 3); Koerner's Gardens, 4900 Ar¬
senal St.; Delmar Garden, Delmar Boul. (beyond PL B, 1); West End Heights,
near the S.W. corner of Forest Park. — Theatre-tickets may be bought in
advance at Bellman's, 1120 Olive St.
Clubs. St. Louis, 3633 Lindell Boul.; University, 607 N. Grand Ave.;
Union, cor. of Jefferson Si Lafayette Aves.; Columbian, 3919 Lindell Ave.,
Hebrew; Noonday, 319 N. 4th St.; Mercantile, Locust Si 7th Sts., these two
'down town' lunching clubs; Liederkranz, Chouteau Ave. Si 13th St., Ger¬
man; Women's Club, next door to the University Club; Missouri Athletic
Club, cor. of 4th S(. & Washington Ave., witb fine baths and gymnasium ;
Country Club, to the W. of the city.
Newspapers. Globe-Democrat (Repub.), a widely known sheet; Republic
(Dem.); Post-Despatch (Independent Dem.; evening); Star (Repub.; ev'g.)
Chronicle (Dem.; ev'g.); WeslUche Post (Indep.; Ger.; m'g.).
Post Office (PI. G, 2), Olive St., open 7-11 (Sun. 9-12).
British Vice-Consul, Mr. Western Bascome, 725 Century Building.
St. Louis (4-500 ft. above the sea), the largest city of Missouri
and the fourth of the United States, lies on the W. bank of the
Mississippi, about 20 M. below the mouth of the Missouri. It has a
frontage of nearly 20 M. on the river and rises from it in three ter¬
races, the third of which is about 200 ft. above the river-level. Tho
city is regularly laid out, on the Philadelphia plan, Market St ,
running E. and W., being the dividing line between N. andS. The
streets running N. and 8. are numbered, though many of them are
also known by names. Broadway or Fifth Street is the chief shop¬
ping thoroughfare, while other important business streets are Fourth
St. (banks), Olive St. (retail trade), Washington Ave. (wholesale
trade), Third St. (printing-offices), and 1st (or Main) and 2nd Streets
(along the river; commission- houses). The city is also divided into
a N. and a S. section by the valley of Mill Creek (now filled in)r which
is spanned by seven bridges. The city has recently extended greatly
to the W., and commerce is steadily encroaching on the residential
quarters. The population of St. Louis in 1900 was 575,238, includ¬
ing about 100,000 Germans and 35,000 negroes.
History. The fur-trading station of St. Louis or Pain Court was estab¬
lished by the French in 1764, and it still bears traces of its French origin