386 Route 58. CINCINNATI. Eden Park.
Among other buildings may be mentioned the County Court House
(PI. E, 4), St. Xavier's College (PL E, 4), the Oddfellows' Temple (PL D, 4),
the Cincinnati Hospital (PL D, 3, 4), the huge Workhouse, and the House of
Refuge (both beyond PL B, 1). Recently constructed buildings of the
modern type include the Traction Building (PL 5; E, 4), the Mercantile
Library (PL E, 4), the Union Trust Building (PL 6; D, E, 4), and the First
National Bank (PI. 1; E, 4).
The chief park of Cincinnati is Eden Park (PL E, F, 2, 3), 216
acres in extent, which lies on the hills to the E. and affords fine views
of the city and river (band on Sun.). It contains the Art Museum
(see below), the main reservoir of the City Water Works, the High
Service Pumping Station, and the Water Tower. The top of tbe last
(elevator), a prominent landmark, affords the best *View of the city
and its environs, the river, and the Kentucky Highlands.
We may reach the park by the electric cars from Fountain Sq., which
are elevated bodily by the inclined plane railway (PL E, 4) and run through
the park, past the Art Museum (through-fare 5 c). [Near the head of the
inclined plane is the Rookwood Pottery (see below; visitors admitted).] Or we
may take the Gilbert Ave. electric cars to fhe Eden Park Entrance, 5 min.
from the Art Museum. [Elsinore, a towered gateway, a little farther down
Gilbert Ave., on this route, was erected by the City Water Works.)
The Art Museum (PL F, 3J, a handsome building of rusticated
masonry with a red-tiled roof, is open daily, 9-5 (Sun. 1-6; adm. 25 c,
Sun. & Sat. 10 c.; catalogues 10 c). Adjacent is the Art School
(500 students). Both are maintained by a private corporation.
The collections include Paintings, Sculptures, Engravings, Etchings,
Metal Work, Textile Fabrics, Pottery, American Ethnology and Archaeology, etc.
Among the pictures, on the upper floor, are specimens of Bol, Calame, Hay-
don, Lessing, Maratta, Rubens (No. 93), Tiepolo (105), Tintoretto (106), and
modern French, German, and American masters. The art of Wood Carv¬
ing has been successfully revived at Cincinnati, and the specimens of this
are worth attention. Rookwood Pottery (see above), another art-product of
Cincinnati, is also well represented in the museum. The *Bookwalter Loan
Collection affords good illustrations of Oriental art.
From the top of the Clifton Heights Inclined Railway (PL D, 2)
we may go byvelectric car to the Burnet Woods Park (PL D, 1), a
fine piece of natural forest. To the S. of it, facing Clifton Ave.
(PL D, 1), are the handsome new buildings of the University of Cin¬
cinnati (1200 students). — A good view is obtained from the top
of the Price's Hill Inclined Plane (PL A, 4). — The *Spring Grove
Cemetery, 5 M. to the N.W., is picturesque and contains some in¬
teresting monuments. — The ^Zoological Garden (beyond PL D, 1;
adm. 25 c; open daily, Sun. included), reached by electric tramways
from Fountain Square, contains a fine collection of animals and is a
favourite resort (restaurant; concerts).
The ^Suspension Bridge (PL E, 5), connecting Cincinnati with
Covington, was constructed by Roebling (p. 37) in 1865 at a cost of
$ 1,800,000 and rebuilt and enlarged in 1897 at an additional cost
of $ 500,000. It is 2720 ft. long (including the approaches; between
the towers 1005 ft.), 52 ft. wide, and 103 ft. above low-water mark
(toll 2c). The new "Central Bridge (PL E, F, 5) is a handsome