56. From Chicago to Cincinnati.
a. Via Lafayette and Indianapolis.
306 M. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railway CBig
Four Line') in 8-llhrs. (fare $8; sleeper $2, reclining-chair $1).
Chicago (Illinois Central Station), see p. 346. The train runs
along the lake-front (p. 350) to (972 M.) Grand Crossing and then
turns to the S. (inland). 56 M. Kankakee (625 ft.), a railway and
industrial centre with 13,600 inhab., on the Kankakee River. Our
line now runs to the S.E. and crosses the Kankakee and Iroquois Rivers.
Beyond (86 M.) Sheldon we enter Indiana. — 131 M. Lafayette
(590ft.; Lahr Ho., $272-3y2), an industrial city of 18,116 inhab.,
at the head of navigation on the Wabash River. Purdue College has
1300 students of agriculture, engineering, and otherpractical branches.
The battlefield of Tippecanoe (see p. 334) lies about 7 M. to the N.
195 M. Indianapolis. — Hotels. Claypool (Pi. a; B, 3), from $3;
Denison(P1. b; C, 2); Grand (PI. c; B, 3), English (PI. d; C, 2), from $2'/2;
Spencer (PI. e; B, 3), from $2; Occidental (PI. f; B,3). — Electric Cars (5c.)
traverse the chief streets. — Post Office (PI. C, 3), cor. of Pennsylvania St.
and Market St. — Empire Theatre (PI. C, 2); Grand Opera House (PI. C,2).
— Information to visitors given freely at the Commercial Club (PI. C, 2),
603 Commercial Club Building.
Indianapolis (700 ft.), founded in 1821, the capital and largest
city of Indiana, with (1900) 169,164 inhab., lies on the W. branch
of the White River, in the midst of a wide plain. It is a great railway-
centre, carries on an extensive trade in live-stock, and produces
manufactures to the value of 75 million dollars (15,000,0001.) an¬
nually. The chief attraction of the city lies in its beautiful residence-
quarter, the tasteful houses, shady streets,! aud grassy lawns of which
make one of the most beautiful scenes of the kind in the United States.
The focus of the city is the circular Monument Place (PL 0,2,3),
from which four wide avenues run diagonally to the four corners of
the city, all the other streets being laid out at right angles to each
other. In the centre of this place rises the *Solmers and Sailoes
Monument, 285 ft. high, by Bruno Schmitz of Berlin (1893). —
A little to the W. is the State Capitol (PI. B, 2, 3), a large building
with a central tower and dome, erected at a cost of $2,000,000. The
Court House (PL C, 3), also an imposing edifice, lies to the E. of
Other large and important buildings are the Blind Asylum (PL C, 1),
72 M- to the N. of the Monument; the United States Arsenal (PL F, 1),
on a hill to the E. of the city; the Deaf $ Dumb Asylum (PL F, 3),
also to the E.; the "Propylaeum (PL C, 1, 2), a unique building,
owned and controlled by a stock-company of women for literary
purposes; the Union Railway Station (PL B, C, 3, 4); the Post Office
(PL C,3); the City Hall; the Public Library (PL C, 2; 100,000
vols.); and several Churches. The Central Hospital for the Insane
lies 172 M. to the W. of the city, beyond the White River. The