338 Route 46. MACKINAC ISLAND. From Buffalo
St. Clair, 9 M. to the E., with the country-houses of many of the citizens ;
St. Clair Flats, a shooting and fishing resort, with its hotels and cottages
huilt on piles; Windsor (p. 335); Ms. Clemens (see below; also reached by
trolley-line, passing the curious Grotto oftheVirgin,TM. from Detroit); St.Clair
Springs (Somerville, $2'/2-5; Oakland, from $3); Kingsville (Ont ), on the
N. shore of Lake Erie, 30 M. from Detroit; and Put-in-Bay Islands (p. 341).
From Detroit to Toledo, see p. 333.
From Detroit to Lansing and Grand Rapids, 153 M., railway (Pere
Marquette) in 4-5 hrs. — 23 M. Plymouth. — 85 M. Lansing (Downey, $ 2-3'/2;
Hudson, $ 2-27a), *he capital of Michigan, is a manufacturing city of (1900)
16,485 inhab.. on the Grand River. Adjoining the Capitol is a statue of
Gov. Austin Blair, erected in 1898. — 150 M. Grand Rapids (Morton Ho.
$2'/2-4; Livingston, $ 272-472), a busy city of (1800) 87,565 inhab., with fine
water-power afforded by a fall of 18 feet on the Grand River (value of
manufactures in 1900, $25,000,000).
From Detroit to Port Huron, 59 M., railway in l3/.|hr. — 22 M.
Ml. Clemens (Avery, $ 3-5; Egnew, Park, $ 2-4). — 59 M. Port Huron (p. 340).
From Detroit to Mackinaw City (Mackinac Island), 291 M., railway
in 9 hrs. — This railway traverses nearly the entire length of Michigan
from S. to N., passing through one of the greatest 'lumbering' regions in
America. 60 M. Lapeer; 87 M. Vassar, the junction of a line to (22 M.)
Saginaw City (42,345 inhab. in 1900). —108 M. Bay City (Fraser Ho., $ 272-3),
situated near the point where the Saginaw empties into Saginaw Bay, with
(1900) 27,628 inhab. and a large trade in timber, fish, and salt. — 142 M.
Alger; 228 M. Gaylord. — 291 M. Mackinaw City (Wentworth, $2), with
(1900) 564 inhab., lies at the N. extremity of Michigan, on the Straits of
Mackinac (4 M. wide), which connect Lake Michigan (p. 342) and Lake Huron
(p. 341). Steamers run hence, in connection with the trains, to St. Ignace
(p. 372), on the opposite side of the Straits, and to (8 M.) Mackinac Island
(see below), while others run to Sault-Ste-Marie (p. 374), Manistique, etc.
'Mackinac Island, a rocky and wooded little islet, 9 M. in circum¬
ference, contains a good deal of picturesque scenery in its narrow limits
and has become a favourite place of summer-resort. Its fresh breezes,
clear water, excellent fishing, and romantic legends are additional attrac¬
tions. On the S. side of the island lies the picturesque village of Mackinac,
with 665 inhabitants. On the cliff above it stands Fort Mackinac, and a
little farther inland are the ruins of Fort Holmes (300 feet; 'Views), built
by the British. The largest hotel on the island is the Grand Hotel
(1300 beds; $372-5), on a bluff near the village; and good accommodation
may also be obtained at the Astor House ($ 272-3), the Mission House ($ 3),
the Murray ($2-3), the Island House ($ 2'/2-4), the Mackinac ($272-3), and
other smaller inns and boarding-houses. Among the chief points of interest
on the island are tbe "Arch Rock, on the E. side, 150 ft. high; the Lover's
Leap, 145 ft. high; Robertson's Folly, the Giant's Causeway, Sugar Loaf
Rock, Scott's Cave, the British Landing (1812), etc. Excursions may be
made to St. Ignace (p. 372), the Cheneaux Islands, Bois Blanc Island, etc.
A steamboat tour round the island should also be made. The island
was frequently visited by the early French travellers and remained in
possession of France from 1610 to 1761, when it was ceded to Great
Britain. It came into the hands of the United States in 1796, was taken
by tbe English in 1812, and was restored to the United States in 1815.
The Astor House (see above) was the headquarters of the Astor Fur Co.,
founded by John Jacob Astor, in 1809-50. Comp. the 'Annals of Fort
Mackinac', by D. H. Kelton, and 'Anne', by Constance Fenimore Woolion. —
Mackinac Island is also reached from Detroit by steamer.
From Detroit to Cincinnati, 263 M., railway in 7-8 hrs. The chief inter¬
mediate stations are (60 M.) Toledo (p. 333), Lima (131 M.), Dayton (201 M.;
p. 345), and Hamilton (237 M.; p. 379). — 263 M. Cincinnati, see p. 384.
From Detroit to Columbus^ 184 M., railway in 9 hrs. We diverge
from the above line at (60 M.) Toledo, and follow the Hocking Valley Rail¬
way. — 181 M. Columbus, see p. 327.