332 Route 46. CLEVELAND. From Buffalo
merce (PI. 2; C, D, 2). In Superior St., beyond the Federal Building,
is the massive City Hall (PL D, 2), which is adjoined by the Public
Library (PL 10; 212,000 vols.). — A little to the N. of this point
is the huge New Central Armoury (PL D, 1).
*Euclid Avenue (PL D-G,2,1), which begins at the S.E. angle
of the Public Square, is at its E. end also an important artery of
business and farther out becomes one of the most beautiful residence
streets in America, with each of its handsome houses surrounded
by pleasant grounds and shady trees. To the left is the '"Arcade
(PL D, 2), 400 ft. long, 180 ft. wide, and 144 ft. high, with a fine
five-balconied interior, running through to Superior St.; and to the
right is the Colonial Arcade (PL D, 2), running through to Pro¬
spect St. At the corner of Bond St. are the tall Garfield (10 stories)
and New England (16 stories) Buildings (PL 4, 5; D, 2), the top
floor of the latter occupied by the New Century Club. Near Erie St.
is the Citizens Building (PL 8; D, 2), and at the corner are the
Lennox Building (PL D, 2; 1.) and the Schofield Building (PL 9;
D, 2; r.). At the corner of Muirson St. is the handsome new build¬
ing of the Union Club (PL 13; D, 2). Farther on are several fine
churches. About 4^2 M. from the square (street-car) Euclid Ave.
reaches the beautiful *Wade Park, which contains statues of Com¬
modore Perry (p. 330) and Harvey Rice. Opposite the Park are the
buildings of the Western Reserve University (including Adelbert
College, Cleveland Medical College, etc.; 876 students) and the Case
School of Applied Sciences (450 students). About d.1/2 M. farther on,
the avenue ends at *Lake View Cemetery, containing the "Garfield
Memorial (adm. 10 c.; erected in 1890 at a cost of $ 130,000), the
top of which (165 ft. high) affords a splendid *View.
Prospect Street (PI. D-G, 2), which runs parallel to Euclid Ave. on the
S., is little inferior to it in beauty. At the corner of Erie St. are the
Rose Building (PI. 3; D, 2) and the handsome building of the Young Men's
Christian Association (PI. D, 2; r.). — Another favourite resort is "Gordon
Park, to tbe N.E. of tbe city, on the lake, connected with Wade Park
by a fine boulevard, which also extends to the new Rockefeller Park. —
The huge Market (PI. D, 2), in Ontario St., is well equipped.
Cleveland is connected with West Cleveland, on the other side
of the Cuyahoga Valley, by an enormous *Viaduct (PL C, 2),
1070 ft. long, completed in 1878 at a cost of $2,200,000 (440,000*.)
and deservedly regarded as a wonderful feat of engineering. The
main portion of the viaduct is of stone, but the central part is of
iron lattice-work and swings open to allow the passage of vessels.
The *View of the manufacturing quarters in the valley from this
viaduct is very imposing, especially at night. There are three other
similar viaducts at different parts of the city (see PL D, 2; F, 3).
Driving parties may cross the Viaduct and follow Lakeside Ate. and
Detroit St. to (8 M.) Rocky River, a favourite supper-resort in summer.
A visit may also be paid to the great Oil District at the S.
end of Wilson Ave. (comp. PL G, 5), where the enormous tanks
and refining works of the Standard Oil Co. are situated.