CLEVELAND. 46. Route. 331
bath from $ l>/2; Colonial, in the Colonial Arcade (p. 332); Forest City
(PI. d; C, 2), Monument Park, $ 2-3; Kennard (PI. e; C, 2), $ 2-3; American
(PI- f; C, 2), $2-2>/z; Beverley (PI. g; E, 2), 430 Euclid Ave., from $21/2;
Hawley Ho., $2, R. from 75 c; Baldwin (PI. i; D, 2), for men only,|R.
Restaurants. "Hollenden, see p. 330;"Lennox, Euclid Ave. and.ErieSt.;
Boehmke, 250 Erie St.; Savarin, Ontario St.; Stranahan, in*the Arcade.
Electric Tramways traverse the chief streets in all directions and run
to various suburban points (fare within the city 3 c). — Cab from station
to hotel, each pers- 50 c, incl. baggage; per hour, $l'/2; other fares in
proportion; 50 per cent, more after 11 p.m.
Places of Amusement. Opera House (PI. D, 2), Euclid Ave.; Empire
Theatre (PI. 12; D, 2; first-class vaudeville); Colonial Theatre (PI. 11; D, 2;
vaudeville); Lyceum Theatre (PI. C, 2);' Star Theatre (PI. D, 2); Cleveland
Theatre (PI. C, 2).
Post Office, Superior St., between Bank and Seneca'Sts. (PI. C, 2;
temporarily; comp. below).
Cleveland (580 ft. above the sea), the largest city of Ohio, with
(1900) 381,768 inhab., lies on the Si shore of Lake Erie, at the
mouth of the small Cuyahoga River, and, with its broad and well-
paved streets, its green lawns and squares, and its numerous trees
('Forest City'), makes a favourable impression on the visitor. Its
important iron and steel works produce goods to [the annual value
of $ 40,000,000; it is the chief seat of the Standard Oil Co. ;>nd it
carries on a very extensive trade through its excellent harbour. Most
of its factories, among which may also be mentioned those for tbe
making of sewing-machines, electro-dynamic machinery, and electric
lamp carbons, are tucked away in the river-valley below the level of
the plateau on which the city lies, or are in West Cleveland and
along the river-front.
Cleveland was founded in 1796, but did not begin to grow with any
rapidity until the completion of the Ohio Canal, connecting Lake Erie
with the Ohio (1834). Its pop. in 1830 was 1000, in 1860 it was 43,417,
in 1880 it was 160,142, and in 18E0 it was 261,353. Cleveland is one of
the chief ship-building cities in the United States. The value of its
manufactures in 1900 was $140,000,000 (28,000,000;.); 59,000 hands were
The chief business-street is Superior Street (PL C-F, 2, 1), a
really fine and wide thoroughfare, the W. end of which is lined with
substantial business blocks, such as the Perry-Payne Building (Nos.
103-109). A little farther on the street expands into "Monumental
Park or the Public Square (PL C, D, 2), containing a Soldiers'
Monument and a Statue of Gen. Moses Cleaveland (1754-1806),
founder and godfather of the city. The new FederaljBuilding, now
in course of erection, at the N.E. corner of the square, will contain
the Post Office, the Custom[House, and the Court House. At the
N.W. corner is the Old Court House (PL C, 2), adjoined by the
American Trust Building (14 stories). On the N. side of the square,
at the corner of Ontario St., is the handsome building of the "Society
for Savings (PL 1; C, 2), established in 1849 and now containing
upwards of 45 million dollars (nine millions sterling). There are no
stock-holders, the entire profits going to the 73,000 depositors (*View
from the top of the building). Adjacent is the Chamber of Com-