252 Route 29. NIAGARA FALLS. Table Rock.
of Goat Island, where we obtain a good view of the broad and quiet
river above the cascades, with Grand Island (p. 249) in the back¬
ground. Thence the path leads back along the N. side of Goat Island,
affording a view of the American Rapids, to (5-6 min.) the bridge.
We may now cross to the Canadian side of the river by the "Upper
Steel Arch Bridge (PL B, 4), about 250 yds. below the Falls (see p.
253), erected in 1897-98 to take the place of the suspension-bridge
formerly at this spot. The main span, the largest of the kind in the
world, is 840 ft. long, while the flanking spans increase the total
length of the bridge to 1240 ft. It is 49 ft. wide. An electric tram¬
way crosses in the centre, and on each side are carriage-ways and
footpaths. The bridge is 195 ft. above the level of the water.
Bridge-toll 10 c, return 15 c, incl. tramway fare. — Just below it,
on the American shore, is the mouth of the tunnel described at
p. 250. On the bank above is a group of mills and manufactories,
run by the power of a surface canal.
On reaching the Canadian end of the bridge, we turn to the left
and reach (3 min.) *Queen Victoria Niagara Falls Park, which ex¬
tends along the river for 2^2 M. (electric railway, see p. 248). The
park contains a bronze statue of Colonel Gzowski, its chief promotor.
Splendid general views are obtained as we proceed of the Falls
and the gorge, especially from the (3 min.) * Rambler's Rest and
(4 min.) *Inspiration Point. To the right, 3-4 min. farther on, are
Picnic Grounds and a Restaurant; and in 3 min. more we reach the
Table Rock House and **Table Bock (PL A, 5), which affords an
indescribably grand view of the Horseshoe Falls. Beautiful rain¬
bows are seen on the spray in the afternoon. The roar of the water is
The name of Table Rock still adheres to this point, though the last
portion of the overhanging ledge that gave rise to it fell into the abyss
in 1850. — An elevator here affords an opportunity to those who wish to
go under the Falls (25c, with dress 50c). This trip does not necessitate
the removal of clothing, but only the protection of oil-skin suits. It has
been improved by the construction of a tunnel (200 ft. long) and now
affords imposing 'Views of the falls from behind and below.
Visitors with time to spare may extend their walk through the Park
above the Falls to (3-4 min.) Cedar Island and (1 M.) "Dufferin Islands, en¬
joying good views of the Canadian Rapids (see above). No time need be
wasted on the so-called Burning Spring (adm. 50 c). — Falls View Station
of the Michigan Central R.R. (see p. 334), lies just outside the Park, opposite
the lower end of Cedar Island. — A road diverging near Table Rock leads
to the battlefield of Lundy's Lane, where the Anglo-Canadian forces defeated
the Americans after a bloody struggle on July 25th, 1814.
No one should omit to take the **Trip in the little steamer the
Maid of the Mist, which starts near the foot of the Inclined Railway
descending from the Library (see p.251), steams up the river nearly
to the foot of the Horseshoe Fall, and touches at a wharf on the
Canadian side (fee 50 c, incl. water-proof dress). The **View it
affords of the Falls is one of the best to be had; and the trip is
perfectly safe. Passengers may disembark on the Canadian side