240 Route 28. BUFFALO. From New York
front. Lumber (700 million feet annually), grain, coal (9 million tons),
and live-stock (ca. 10 million head yearly) are among the chief articles of
trade. The grain elevators have an aggregate capacity of 22 million bushels.
The industries of Buffalo include brewing, distilling, oil-refining, car build¬
ing, and the making of metal goods, soap, and starch. They employ 43,500
hands, while their produce in 1900 was valued at $ 122,000,000. The popula¬
tion includes a large proportion of Germans and many Poles and Italians.
Lake Erie (570 ft.), the second (counting from the E.) of the chain
of Great Lakes between the United States and Canada, is 250 M. long and
60 M. wide. It is by far the shallowest of all, having an average depth of
only 84 ft. It connects with Lake Huron by the Detroit River (see p. 341)
and pours its waters into Lake Ontario by the Niagara River (see p. 249).
It is the scene of a very busy navigation, about 90UO vessels, of an aggre-
ate burden of 12,000,000 tons, aanually entering and clearing the port of
Buffalo alone. The first vessel to navigate the lake was built on the Niagara
River by La Salle in 1679, and the first steamboat was launched in 1818.
To reach Main St. (PI. C-F, 1-8) from the Union Depot (PI.
D, 7), we proceed to the left (W.). Following Main St. to the right
(N.), we soon reach the Weed Block, at the corner of Swan St., in
which ex-President Cleveland lived when in Buffalo. At the opposite
corner of Swan St. is the huge Ellicott Square Building (PI. C, 7),
one of the largest office-buildings in the world, with 16 eleva¬
tors and housing a business-community of between 4000 and
5000 souls. On the left is *St. Paul's Church, one of the most success¬
ful Gothic (E. E.) churches in America. A little back from the
church, fronting on Franklin St., is the substantial City Hall, with
a tower 200 ft. high (view). [Close by, at the S.W. corner of Pearl
and Church Sts., is the *Guaranty Building, by Louis Sullivan,
a fine example of simple yet dignified commercial architecture,
with terracotta ornamentation.] To the right, at the corner of Eagle
St., is the imposing Iroquois Hotel (p. 239; view from roof). A little
farther on, the street crosses Lafayette Square (PI. C, D, 7), with a
War Monument. Here, to the right, at the corner of Broadway, stands
the handsome *Public Library (PI. D, 7), which contains 210,000
vols, and various collections.
The spacious "Reading Room on the groundfloor contains E. A.Poe's
watch and a very interesting "Collection of autograph MSS. (Emerson,
Whitman, Lowell, Howells, C. E. Craddock, etc.). — The basement, and
upper floors are occupied by the, museum of the Society of Natural Sciences.
At the corner of Niagara St. stands the Erie Co. Savings Bank.
Main St. then intersects the wide Genesee Street (PL C-F, 5-7). To
the left, Y2 M. farther on, at the corners of Edward St., are the large
Teck Theatre (p. 239) and the R. C. *Church of St. Louis (PI. D, 6).
Just to the W. of this point, at the S.E. corner of Edward St.
and Franklin St., is the Grosvenor Library (PL C, D, 6), a free refe¬
rence library with about 65,000 vols, (open 9-6).
One of the finest residence-streets in Buffalo is *Delawab,e
Avenue (PL C, D, 3-7), which begins at Niagara Square (PL C, 7),
probably soon to be adorned with a monument to President McKinley
(by Carrere & Hastings), and runs to the W. of and parallel with
Main St. At the corner of Niagara Sq. and Delaware Ave. is the
house of President Millard Fillmore (1800-1874), now a hotel Among