to Buffalo. BUFFALO. 28. Route. 239
The train crosses the Genesee above the falls (not seen from the
line). — 404 M. Batavia (Richmond Hotel), with 9180 inhab. and
the State Blind Asylum, is the junction of various railways. The
old Holland Purchase Land Office contains a collection of relics of
the pioneer days of "Western New York. To the right is seen the
monument to William Morgan, believed to have been murdered by
the Free Masons in 1826 to prevent the publication of his book on
the secrets of the craft. — 436 M. East Buffalo.
440 M. Buffalo. — Hotels. '-Hotel Ikoquois (Pl.a;C,7), a well-built
and finely equipped fire-proof structure, at the corner of Main and Eagle
Sts., $4-5, R. from $11/2; Lenox Hotel (PI. b; C, D, 5), North St., cor. of
Delaware Ave., with roof-garden, R. from $ l'/2; Lafayette Hotel (PI. h;
D, 7), at the corner of Clinton and Washington Sts.; Genesee Ho. (PI. c;
C, D, 6), Main St., from $3, R. from $1; Bkoezel Ho. (PI. f; D, 7), close
to Union Depot, from $3; Mansion House (PI. g; C, 7), with good cuisine,
$2-3; Stafford (PI. e; C, 7), $2-21/2.
Restaurants. At most of the hotels; Teck Cafi, cor. of Main and
Edwards Sts., handsomely fitted up; Statler, Ellicott Sq. Building, Swan
St.; Almendinger Cafi, in the Morgan Building (p. 242); Goetz <k Laport,
194 Pearl St. (for men only); White Elephant, 356 Main St.; Carlson Co.,
263 Main St.; Childs' Dairy Co., 329 Main St.
Railway Stations. Union or Central Depot (PI. D, 7), Exchange St., for
trains of the N. Y. C, West Shore, Michigan Central, Lake Shore, Penn.,
W. N. Y. & P., and Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburg RR.; Erie Depot
(PI. D, 7), Exchange St., a little to the E., also used by the Wabash,
Grand Trunk, and N. Y. C. & St. L. RR.; Delaware & Lackawanna Depot
(PI. C, 8), at the foot of Main St.; Lehigh Valley Depot (PI. C, 8), cor. of
Washington and Scott Sts.
Steamboats ply regularly to the chief points on Lake Erie and the
other Great Lakes (comp. p. 305).
Cabs. For 1 pers. for 1 M. 50c, each pers. addit. 25c, 2 M. 50 c.
each, above 2 M. $1 each; per hour 1-4 pers., $l'/2; one article of luggage
free, each addit. article 5-10c. — Street Cars (Tramways), mainly propelled
by electric power generated by Niagara Falls (comp. p. 250), traverse all
the principal streets (5 c) and also run to Tonawanda (p. 242), Niagara Falls
(comp. p. 242), etc. — A Belt Railway Line, starting at the Union Depot,
makes the circuit of the city (15 M.) in ■/« hr. (fare 25 c).
Post Office (PI. D, 7), Swan St.
Theatres. Teck Theatre (PI. D, 6), Main St. (50 c. to $ 1.50); Star Theatre
(PI. C, 7), cor. Pearl and Mohawk Sts. (25 c. to $1); Lyceum, Washington
St., near Broadway (15-75 c.); Germania, 331 Ellicott St., performances in
German. — Shea's Music Hall (vaudeville performances), near City Hall;
Roof Garden, Main St., cor. of High St., with concerts, restaurant, etc.
(adm. 15 c).
Buffalo, the second in size of the cities of New York State, with
(1900) 352,387 inhab., lies at the E. end of Lake Erie, at the mouth
of the Buffalo Creek and head of the Niagara River, 20 M. above the
Niagara Falls. It is well built, and many of its wide streets are
shaded with trees and smoothly paved with asphalt.
The name of the city is supposed to be derived from the herds of
buffalo which frequented the creek here entering the lake. The first
dwelling for a white man was erected here in 1791, but it was not till
after the construction of the Erie Canal in 1825 that the place increased
with any great rapidity. Between 1890 and 1900 it added nearly 100,000 souls
to its population. The commerce of Buffalo is very great, as its situation
makes it an emporium for much of the traffic with the great North-West.
Its lake-harbour is safe and capacious, and it has several miles of water-