500 Envir. of Borne. NORBA. S- Volscian Mts.
43^/2 M. Norma-Ninfa, the station for Norma, lying on a hill
3l/2 M. to the E. (carriage-road, but no omnibus), and for the
ivy-clad *Ruins of the mediaeval town of Ninfa, immediately to
the W. of the rail. station. The buildings date mainly from the
12th and 13th cent, and include a castle of the Caetani, a monastery,
churches with faded frescoes, and several streets. The marshy sur-
roundings were the cause of its abandonment, and in summer the
malaria makes a visit to Ninfa unadvisable. Aprii and May are the
best months, on account of the flowers.
Norma may be reached direct from the rail. station in 1V2 hr. by
steep footpaths diverging to the left about 200 paces along the road.
Norma (1367 ft.; Locanda della Fortuna, tolerable) is a small
mountain-village with 2559 inhabitants, About 3/4 M. to the N.W.
of it, on the mountain-path leading to Cori, are the ruins of Norba
('Civita'), which became a Latin colony, 492 B.C., and,was captured
and destroyed by the troops of Sulla during the civil wars. The
well-preserved wall, in the polygonal style, was iy2M. in circum¬
ference, and several towers and a gateway are stili traceable. From
the discovery of fragments of pottery beneath the foundations it is
obvious that the wall originally dates from the republican period.
It encloses the remains of four temples, one of which was probably
dedicated to Diana and another to Juno Lucina. The chief discov¬
eries of the excavations begun here in 1901 are in the Thermae
Museum at Rome (p. 194); others are shown in the little museum here.
Fatiguing mountain-paths lead from Norma to Montelanico (p. 497
in about 4 hrs'. ride, and to (8 M.) Carpineto (p. 497) in 4-5 hrs. (horse
and guide about 5 fr.).
45y2M. Sermoneta-Bassiano. At the mouth of the Val Ca¬
retta, 1/2 M. to the N.E. of the station, is the Gothic abbey-church
of Valvisciolo (13th cent.; 340 ft.). The road to (3 M.) Norma (see
above) runs on the other side of the valley, while the road to (4y2M.)
Bassiano (1835 ft.) leads to the N.E. and then ascends the Val
Carella to the S.E. The Semprevisa (5040ft.; extensive view) may
be ascended from Bassiano in about 4 hrs. (with guide); the descent
may be made to Carpineto Romano (p. 497). — Sermoneta (840 ft.),
a little town (2127 inhab.) l3/4 M. to the S. of Valvisciolo, with
quaint mediaeval streets, is commanded by an old castle of the Dukes
of Caetani, the keep of which dates from the 13th cent. In the
16th cent, it was for a time the property of Lucretia Borgia, and
was fortified by her brother Caesar, Duke of Valentinois. The
church of San Giuseppe contains pictures by Girolamo da Sermo*
neta, and the Cathedral a Virgin with angels by Benozzo Gozzoli.
Farther on the line skirts the Pontine Marshes (Paludi
Pontine; 290 sq. M.), which vary in breadth between the mountains
and the sea from 6 to 11 M., and from Cisterna to Terracina are
31 M. in length. A considerable part of them is now cultivated