464 Envir. of Borne. ALBANO. 2- Alban Mts.
and the whole inspection about 1 hr. The Emissarium, an imposing work,
was constructed according to tradition by the Romans in 397 B.C., during
the siege of Veii, when the lake rose to an unusual height, but, it is
probably of stili more remote origin. It is hewn in the solid rock. At
the entrance is a lock-house constructed of stone blocks about 2 ft. in
height. The channel is 7-10 ft. in height, and issues % M. below Albano
by the fish-breeding establishment of La Mola, descending thence to the
Tiber. The custodian floats lighted pieces of candle on boards down the
stream, in order to give visitors an idea of its length (about 1300 yds.).
Between two more tunnels the train crosses the highroad from
Rome to Albano (p. 445) and halts at (1872 M.) Albano, see below.
Tramway from Rome to Albano (comp. p. 457; Rome to Gen¬
zano line), 19 M. in 2 hrs. 8 min. (fares 2 fr. 10, 1 fr. 35 e, return-
tickets 3 fr. 15, 2 fr. 5 e). To (1272 M.) Grottaferrata Città, see
pp. 457,458. The tramways follows the road, crosses the Ponte degli
Squarciarelli at the point where the road for Rocca di Papa (p. 467)
diverges, and reaches (14 M.) Bivio Squarciarelli (whence a branch
runs to Rocca di Papa, p. 467). Thence it proceeds to the S.W. to
(14^2 M.) Marino (ip. 462), halting at the E. end of the village.
Following the descending curve of the road, the tramway now crosses
the deep gorge in which flows the brook known in antiquity as the
Aqua Ferentina, the source of which was the rallying point of the
Latin League. Charming retrospect of Marino. The road ascends,
through woods of elms, ash-trees, ilexes, and chestnut-trees, to the
edge of the crater in which lies the Lago d'Albano. On the left we
enjoy a fine view of the lake and on the right, in the distance, ap¬
pears the sea. Beyond (17^2 M.) Castel Gandolfo (p. 463) the road,
known as the Galleria di Sotto (Galleria di Sopra, see p. 463),
descends on the W. side of the crater to (19 M.) Albano. Thence
to Genzano, see p. 465.
Albano. — Hotel Europa or Posta, Piazza Principe Umberto, on
the tramway in the town, with good trattoria and café, R. 21l2-i, pens.
7 fr. — Bistorante Salustri in the Piazza Principe Umberto ; the landlord
procures bedrooms for visitors ; Trattoria Alhambra, Piazza Umberto
Primo (p. 465), well spoken of. — Caffè Carones, Piazza Principe Umberto.
Carriage with one horse to Nemi, one pers. 5, two pers. 8 fr. ; to
Rocca di Papa (p. 468), about 6 fr. ; to Frascati via Rocca di Papa (incl.
halt for a visit to the Monte Cavo), 12-15 fr. (bargain advisable).
Those who desire to make the tour mentioned at p. 457, via Bocca
di Papa to Monte Cavo and back by Nemi, Genzano, and Ariccia (6-7 hrs.),
must turn to the left at the Piazza Umberto Primo, cross the Piazza
Principe Amedeo, and ascend to the right to the Capuchin convent.
Albano, officially Albano Laziale (1260 ft.), a small town with
8038 inhab., is supposed to owe its origin to the Emp. Septimius
Severus, who here, about A.D. 195, erected the large barracks for
the Second Parthian Legion in the Albanum Domitiani, or Villa of
Domitian, on the Via Appia. [Numerous military tombs, mostly
colossal sarcophagi, were found in 1866 above the Parco Chigi
(p. 465) and left in situ.] The settlement that sprang up round
these Albana Castra became the seat of a bishop in 460. It is re-