462 Envir. of Borne. MARINO. 2- Alban*Mts.
whom the artist was attached. Opposite, on the right wall, St. Bartho¬
lomew arrests the fall of a column and saves the lives of the workmen.
To the left of the aitar, St. Nilus heals a boy possessed by an evil
spirit with oil from a lamp of the Madonna. On the right, the Madonna
presenting a golden appiè to St. Nilus and St. Bartholomew. In the
lunette, Death of St. Nilus. On the triumphal arch, the Annunciation.
On the wall opposite the aitar is a marble font with reliefs, dating from
the llth century. — Service is celebrated according to the Greek ritual.
Some interesting MSS., church utensils, vestments, and fragments of
sculpture are exhibited in a small Museum, in the cloisters.
On Sept. 8th and March 25th Grottaferrata is the scene of a
popular fair (Fiera di carne suina, or pork), which, especially in
March, attracts peasants from ali parts of the Alban Mountains, as
well as strangers from Rome.
From Rome to Albano we may take either the railway (see
below) or the tramway (p. 464).
Railway from'Rome to Albano, 181/2 M., in 1 hr. (fares 3 fr. 50,
2 fr. 45, 1 fr. 60 e), starting from the Central Station in Rome.
This route follows the Naples main line (p. 482) to beyond the Porta
Furba. To the left is the Torre Pignattara (p. 438), to the right
the arches of the Acqua Felice. The line then crosses the ancient Via
Latina near the tombs mentioned on p. 439, and skirts theVia Appia
Nuova. — Further on, to the right, are the tombs on the Via Appia. —
7 M. Capannelle (p. 442); to the right are the Casale Rotondo and
Tor di Selce (p. 445), to the left the mountains. The line now begins
to ascend gradually, and beyond a curve and a tunnel, reaches —
15 M. Marino (1165 ft. ; Albergo d'Italia, on the tramway-line,
in the E. suburb, plain; Trattoria Valerio Giardini, Piazza del
Plebiscito 13), picturesquely situated on a mountain-spur, the site
of the ancient Castrimoenium. From 1270 it was a stronghold
of the Orsini until the Colonnas captured it under MartinV. in 1424.
The town (7307 inhab.) is noted for its excellent but somewhat
strong wine. The church of the Santissima Trinità, to the left of
the Corso, contains a Trinity by Guido Reni. In the church of Santa
Maria delle Grazie, St. Rochus by Domenichino. A fountain in
front of the Palazzo Colonna commemorates the battle of Lepanto
(p. 242). The Cathedral is dedicated to St. Barnabas.
The railway next crosses the Aqua Ferentina (p. 464). Charming
retrospect of Marino. Beyond a tunnel we suddenly find ourselves
on the bank of the Alban Lake.
The *Lake of Albano (960 ft. above the sea-level), about 6 M.
in circumference, is of volcanic origin though no lava ever flowed
from it, and is of sombre and melancholy aspect, although its
banks are well cultivated. The N. half near Castel Gandolfo is
shallow, but the S. half is 560 ft. deep. Both it and Lake Nemi
are fed by abundant subterranean springs, caused by melted snow