460 Envir. of Borne. FRASCATI. 2- Alban Mts.
possibly have lain in this vicinity. Straight on, beside a brick build¬
ing with immured fragments of sculpture, are the ancient Forum
and the well-preserved Theatre (about 31/2 M. above Frascati), ex¬
cavated in 1839. At the back is a Piscina, or reservoir, in four
compartments. Passing through the gate on the left, and descend-
ing by the ancient road, we observe a fragment of the old town-
wall, and adjoining it a curious Well House of massive blocks with
ancient pointed vaulting.
To proceed from the theatre to the Castle (arx; 165 ft. higher;
1/i hr.), we follow the narrow footpath to the right. The castle lay
on an artificially hewn rock, now surmounted by a cross (2198 ft.).
Extensive *Vlew from the top. On the right are Camaldoli and
Monte Porzio (p. 461); farther distant the Sabine Mts., with Tivoli
and Montecelio ; then Soracte and the Ciminian Mts. ; towards the
sea the wide Campagna with its aqueducts, Rome, and the dome of
St. Peter's ; to the left, Grottaferrata, Marino, Castel Gandolfo, and
the Monte Cavo, with Rocca di Papa below it.
Good walkers may descend the E. side of the castle-hill to the
Molara Valley, in which a road leads to the E. to (1 hr.) Bocca Priora
(2620 ft.), the highest town in the Alban Mts., commanding fine views.
A pretty road runs hence to the N.W. to (2V2 M.) Monte Compatri (p. 461).
From the Val della Molara field-paths and forest-paths lead to the S.
to (IV2 hr.) Rocca di Papa (p. 468; guide useful, 1 fr.).
In returning we pass through the first gate to the right, im¬
mediately below the castle, and descend the path leading to the E.,
keeping to the left at the first fork, to the right at the second. At
the foot of the hill of Camaldoli, a monastery founded by Paul V.
in 1611 (ladies not admitted), we take the road to the left (a few
hundred yards straight on is the road from Frascati to Palestrina,
see below). In about 1/2 hr. we reach the wall of the Villa Mondra-
gone, erected by Cardinal Altemps in 1572 under Gregory XIII.,
occupied since 1865 by the Jesuits as a school. The large palazzo
dates from Paul V. Visitors to the fine garden and view-terrace
should skirt the wall to the right to the gate (knock ; fee), and quit
the garden by the cypress avenue and the lower exit. The road to the
left runs between walls, passing on the right theVilla Falconieri,
the oldest near Frascati, laid out by Cardinal Ruffini in 1546, with
a palazzo by Borromini (1648) and pictures by Cirro Ferri and others.
The villa is now the property of the German emperor and is to be
restored and fìtted up as a health-resort for German officers and
From Frascati to Palestrina. The main road passes to the N. of
Monte Porzio Catone and at Colonna (p. 482) joins the road from Rome,
the ancient Via Labicana. The road over the hill (15x/2 M.; diligence to
Monte Compatri in about 1 hr., fare 1 fr., to Monte Porzio 75 e. ; comp.
Maps, pp- 456, 482), especially the first half, is beautiful, but destitute
of shade. From the N.E. corner of the town the road leads past the
lower entrance to the Villa Mondragone (see above), which is approached
by an avenue of cypresses. Farther on are the ruined vaults of an ancient