458 Envir. of Borne. FRASCATI.
2. Alban Mts.
Villa Senni and the road begins to ascend. — Ì-21/2 M. Grotta-
ferrata Bivio, 1/2 M. to the N. of the village, where the line for
Grottaferrata (Rocca di Papa) and Genzano (p. 466) diverges to the
S. The tramway to Frascati ascends to the N. in curves, passing
the Ville Torlonia (see below), and halts in (14y4 M.) Frascati at
the Piazza Romana.
Frascati. — Hotels. Grand Hotel Frascati, first class, with
electric light and baths, 70 R. from 3, B. H/2, déj. 3-3V2, D. 5, pens. 9-
12 fr. ; Hot. Tusoulcm, new. — Albergo di Londra (Pannelli), Piazza
Romana, above the steps leading to the station, with café, 15 R. at 2V2,
pens. 6-7 fr. — Pensions. Bellevue, on the first floor of the Palazzo Senni,
pens. 8-10 fr., with view; Convento San Carlo (Frenchnuns), Via Principe
Umberto, with garden and view, pens. 6-7 fr., well spoken of.
Trattorie (the landlords procure clean bedrooms for travellers).
Villetta, with garden and view, halfway up the steps from the station,
to the left in the Viale Giuseppe Pery; Leone, Piazza Romana, at the
top of the steps; Cippoletta, in the Via Re Umberto, the street to the
left of the church, reached through the doublé archway leading to the
Piazza del Mercato. — Lodgings easily obtained (single rooms 30-40 fr.,
3-4 rooms about 100 fr. per month).
Tramway to Grottaferrata, Rocca di Papa, etc, see p. 461, 467. Dili¬
gence to Monte Compatri, see p. 460.
A visit to Tusculum takes 3-4 hrs., the best route being by Villa Aldo¬
brandini or Villa Ruffinella in going, and by Camaldoli and the Villa Mon-
dragone in returning. Guide, necessary only when time is limited, 2-3 fr.
Some of the Villas are not always open to the public. Information may
be obtained from Felice Ruggeri, the stationer opposite the cathedral, from
the landlords at Frascati, or from the enquiry-office mentioned at p. 156.
Frascati (1056 ft.), in a healthy situation, on the slope of the
mountains, with its beautiful, shady, and well-watered villas, coni-
man ding an admirable view of the Campagna, is adapted for a
stay of some time. The town (8453 inhab.), which is noted for its
wine, is of modern origin. Two churches, Santa Maria and Sanctus
Sebastianus in Frascata, were first mentioned in the 9th cent.;
these seem to have stood on the ruins of a Roman villa (perhaps
that of the Anicii), overgrown with underwood (frasche), whence
the name. The town remained quite unimportant until after the
destruction of Tusculum (p. 459).
A carriage-road and a path with flights of steps lead from the
station to the Piazza Romana, embellished with gardens, in which,
to the right, is the entrance to the Villa Torlonia (formerly Villa
Conti; admission with permission of Count Torlonia at Rome only),
with dilapidated fountains, ilex-hedges, and beautiful points of
view. Straight on are the lower entrances (sometimes closed) to
the Villa Lancellotti and Villa Aldobrandini (see p. 459); while
about 2 min. to the left is the main piazza of the town, which is
embellished with a pretty fountain. The cathedral of San Pietro,
erected in 1700 by Girol. Fontana, contains (to the left of the
main entrance) a memorial tablet to Charles Edward, the Young
Pretender (d. 1788), grandson of James IL, who was first buried
at Frascati, afterwards in St. Peter's (p. 370).