San Pietro in Montorio. ROME. IV. Bight Bank. 423
the chapel belonging to the adjacent Benedictine convent (admission only
by special permission from the Minister of Public Instruction).
To the E. of Santa Cecilia stands the little church of Santa
Maria in Cappella (PI. II, 16), consecrated in 1090 and restored
in 1875. To the S. is the extensive Ospizio di San Michele
(PI. Ili, 13, 16), founded as a poorhouse in 1689 by Tommaso
Odescalchi. After his death it was extended by Innocent XII., and
is now chiefly occupied by a government working-school for boys
and girls (printing, carpet-weaving, wood-carving, etc). Skirting
the river is the quay of Ripa Grande, with the harbour.
The Via Anicia (PI. Ili, 13), passing the choir of Santa Cecilia,
leads to Santa Maria dell' Orto, begun in 1489, and continued after
1512 by Giulio Romano, with a fagade by Martino Lunghi the
Younger (restored in 1792). The interior is overladen with stucco
ornamentation (tasteful font of about 1500). Beyond a large govern¬
ment Fabbrica de' Tabacchi the street is continued to the piazza
and church of —
San Francesco a Ripa (PI. Ili, 13), built in 1231 and
modernized in the 17th century. The last chapel on the left con¬
tains the recumbent statue of St. Ludovica Albertoni, by Bernini.
St. Francis of Assisi resided for some time in the adjoining mon¬
astery. — To the N.W. of the piazza begins the Via di San
Francesco a Ripa (p. 421), which leads in 6 min. to Santa Maria
To the S. of San Francesco is the Porta Portese (PI. Ili, 13),
from which the Porto road issues (see p. 489). Outside the gate is
the Trastevere Station (comp. pp. 10, 149).
The Via Garibaldi (PI. II, 10; p. 419) leads in about 5 min.
to a small piazza, whence, to the right, the steep Via di Porta San
Pancrazio ascends direct to the Acqua Paola (see p. 425), quitting
the piazza beside the Bosco Parrasio degli Arcadi, the garden in
which were held the meetings of the 'Arcadia', a poetic academy of the
18th century. On the hill above is the Spanish Academy of Art,
founded in 1881. The Via Garibaldi continues to ascend in windings
to San Pietro in Montorio, the Acqua Paola, and the Porta San
Pancrazio. About 80 paces from the above-mentioned small piazza,
a footpath to the right, flanked with oratories, and ascending in
steps, also leads to the church.
San Pietro in Montorio (PI. II, 10; 195 ft.), an early-
Renaissance church, erected after 1472 at the expense of Ferdinand
and Isabella of Spain, owes its existence to the mediaeval legend
that St. Peter suffered martyrdom (comp. p. 362) on the slope of
the Janiculum here. The campanile and tribune were almost entirely
destroyed during the siege of 1849. It the church is closed, visitors
ring at the door on the right (25-50 e).