418 IV. Bight Bank. ROME. d. Palazzo Corsini.
242. Lod. Caracci, Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew; 730. Guercino,
Ecce Homo; 262. Domenichino, Cardinal Agucchi; 238. Tiarini,
Adoration of the Magi; *188. Guercino, Nativity.
IX. Room: Neapolitan and Spanish masters. Luca Giordano,
*244. Christ among the Scribes, 832. Lot and his daughters;
Ribera, *182. St. Jerome, 248. Venus and Adonis, 188. Old work-
man; 534, 536. Pietro Novelli, Pope Clement XIV. Corsini and his
nephew Card. Neri (see below), mosaic; 436. B. Strozzi, Strolling
musician; *1345., Salvator Rosa, Prometheus.
X. Room: German and early Dutch masters. *752. Master of
the Death ofMary, Cardinal Bern. Clesius, prince-bishop of Trent;
*750. Holbein, Henry Vili, of England; 758. Hans von Schwaz,
Portrait of Wolfgang Tanvelder (1524); 756. J. van Scorei (?),
Crucifixion; 733. Hans Hoffmann (end of 15th cent; not Diirer),
Hare ; 751. M. van Heemskerck, Triptych. — On the ceiling, Pozzo,
Sketch for the vaulting of Sant' Ingnazio (p. 233).
XI. Room: *291. Maratta, Portrait; 230. Sacchi, St. Andrew;
Maratta, 729. His daughter Faustina, 1324. Holy Family, 197.
Madonna; 217.Romanelli,Nativity; 1051. Baciccio(G.B.Gaulli),
Sketch of the frescoes in the Gesù (p. 256); Carlo Dolci, 229. Mary
Magdalene, 259. Ecce Homo; 893. Subleyras, Madonna; *731.
Baioni, Nativity; 397, 409. Rotari, Female heads.
From the vestibule mentioned on p. 416 a staircase at the back,
to the left, ascends to a corridor, off which opens (left) a room
containing the Collection of Drawings and Engravings (Gabinetto
delle Stampe), one of the most extensive in the world. Some of the
engravings are hung on the walls, while the remainder are shown on
request on Tues., Thurs., and Sat., 10-12.
The Library of this palace (adm., see p. 172; entrance by the prin¬
cipal portai ; traverse the open corridor to the right before the main stair¬
case, and ascend the winding staircase to the lst floor) was founded by
Card. Neri Corsini in 1754. It contains 70,000 vols. and 2500 MSS.
At the S. end of the Lungara stands the Museo Torlonia (PI. II, 10 ;
entrance Vicolo Corsini 5), the property of Prince Don Giulio Torlonia,
containing the most extensive collection of antiquities in Rome after those
at the Vatican and the Capitol (accessible by special permission of Prince
Torlonia only). The collection, which includes over 600 objects from
almost every epoch of Graeco-Roman art, consists chiefly of the contents
of the former Galleria Giustiniani, of a number of works formerly in the
Villa Albani, and of the yield of the late Prince Torlonia's excavations.
The Hestia Giustiniani (No. 490) and the fine collection of imperiai busts
may be specially mentioned. Catalogue by P. E. Visconti (3rd edit. ; 1883).
A little to the S. of the Museo Torlonia the Via della Lungara
is terminated by the Porta Setlimiana (PI. II, 10), a gate in the
older wall of Trastevere. — The Via Garibaldi and the Via di
Santa Maria della Scala begin here; see pp. 423 and 421. —
The house with the old Gothic window, at the corner of the Via
di Santa Dorotea, to the right, is pointed out as the abode of
Raphael's 'Fornarina' (p. 187).