416 IV. Bight Bank. ROME.
d. The Lungara :
On the other side of the Lungara, opposite the Farnesina, is
the Palazzo Corsini (PI. II, 11), formerly the property of the
Riario family, rebuilt by Fuga for Card. Neri Corsini, nephew of
Clement XII., in 1729-32. In 1668-89 it was occupied by Queen
Christina of Sweden, daughter of Gustavus Adolphus, who was con-
verted to the Church of Rome in 1655 and died here in 1689. In
1884 the palace was purchased by government and assigned to the
Reale Accademia de' Lincei, or Royal Academy of Science. Both
courts are surrounded with colonnades, and from the centrai court
there is a pretty view of the garden extending up the hill behind
the palace. — A doublé staircase ascends to the lst floor, on which
is the —
*Galleria Nazionale (adm., see p. 172). — In 1894 the col¬
lection of paintings bequeathed to the city of Rome by Prince
Giovanni Torlonia (d. 1829) was united with the older Corsini col¬
lection; a number of paintings from the Monte di Pietà (p. 264),
the Palazzo Sciarra (p. 230), and Pai. Chigi (p. 229) were sub-
sequently added, so that the Corsini Gallery now contains works
of nearly every school and period, including a few of rare merit.
The German and Dutch paintings, though few in number, are also
worthy of attention. — Director, Prof. F. Hermanin.
In the Corridor leading from the staircase to the vestibule are
antique heads; the second on the left, Head of Hercules, after
Scopas. — Vestibule. In the centre : Psyche supported by Zephyrs,
by Gibson. Sculptures of the schools of Canova and Thorvaldsen;
three antique statues; in the embrasure of a door, an antique
mosaic and cinerary urns. To the right is the —
I. Room. Views of Rome from the 17th and 18th cent., by Pieter
van Laer, Jan Miei, M. Cerquozzi, and Van Witel (Vanvitelli) ;
894. H Vernet, The Roman painter Agricola; 141. Panini, Porticus
of Octavia; 305. Locatelli,Landscape; 1034,1009. Gasp. Poussin,
Landscapes; 246. J. B. Weenix, Pastoral scene; 131,133. Panini,
Ruins; 335. Ph. Hackert, Waterfall of Tivoli. — In front of the
window, the * Corsini Vase, in embossed silver, dating from the
time of Augustus, with the Purification of Orestes by the Areopagus
at Athens. Between the Windows, 158. G. Poussin, Landscape.
IL Room. Landscapes and genre-pieces. To the left, 1001.
Weenix, Roman landscape; 1250. Swanevelt (?), Ponte Molle; land¬
scapes by Jan Both (373), N. Molenaer (425), and Van Poelen-
burgh(òòé, 555, 515); sea-pieces by Zeeman (269,264); landscapes
by P. Bril (384), R. Savery (399), and G. Poussin (1028, 1010,
1297-99). — 304, 308, 309. Canaletto (B. Bellotto), Views of
Venice; 395. Salv. Rosa, Battle; 672. David Teniers the Younger,
Peasants ; 440. K. du Jardin, Blacksmith; 336, 342,343. P. de Vos,
Hunting-scenes; 322. Lingelbach, Soldiers; 439. Teniers, Shep-
herd; 1326. J. Both, Roman landscape; *505. W. Kalff, Kitchen.