d. The Lungara. ROME. IV. Bight Bank. 413
at p. 425. At the top it traverses the former garden of the convent
of Sant' Onofrio, whither also the steep Via di Sant' Onofrio as¬
cends direct in 5 min. from the gateway.
Sant' Onofrio (PI. II, 9), on the slope of the Janiculum,
erected about 1430 in honour of the Egyptian hermit Honuphrius,
is adjoined by a monastery of the order of St. Jerome. The church
and monastery are preceded by a colonnade of eight columns; in
the lunettes to the right are three frescoes from the life of St. Jerome
by Domenichino (Baptism, Chastisement, Trance). If the church
is closed, visitors ring (r.) at the door of the monastery (y2 fr.).
Left side. The lst Chapel contains the tomb of the poet Torquato
Tasso, who died in this monastery in 1595 ; the monument was erected
by Pius IX. in 1857, the statue is by De Fabris. In the 2nd chapel,
the tomb-stone of the linguist Card. Mezzofanti (d. 1849). — Right side.
The 2nd chapel contains a Madonna, altar-piece by Ann. Caracci. At
the end of the right wall: monument of Archbp. Giov. Sacchi (d. 1505);
in the lunette, St. Anna teaching the Madonna to read, by Pinturicchio
(school-piece). The Tribune contains restored frescoes by Bald. Peruzzi.
Several rooms in the adjoining Monastery have been fitted up
as a Tasso Museum (Museo Tassiano); admission on week-days in
winter, 9-3, in summer (June lst-Oct. 31st), 9-11 and 3-6, 25 e;
on Sun. and holidays, 9-12, free; closed on the principal festivals.
In a passage on the first floor is a Madonna with the donor, an ad-
mirable fresco, probably by Boltraffio, which has unfortunately
been much injured by retouching (the attitude of the raised arm
of the child, for example, has been entirely spoiled). Autographs
of Tasso and printed copies of his works, etc, are exhibited in two
rooms. A third room is shown in which Tasso resided, when about
to receive the laurels on the Capitol, and in which he died,
25th Aprii, 1595. It contains his bust in wax, taken from the cast
of his face, his portrait (by Balbi, 1864), autograph, etc. — On
the hill-slope, to the left of the monastery, are the remains of an
oak (shattered by lightning in 1842 and again seriously injured by
a storm in 1891), under which Tasso was in the habit of sitting.
In the Lungara, farther on, to the left, is the suspension-bridge
known as the Ponte ai Fiorentini (PI. II, 9, 12; toll 5 e); on the
left bank rises San Giovanni dei Fiorentini (p. 262). Opposite the
bridge, in the Lungara, is the extensive Palazzo Salviati (PI. II, 9),
with a handsome court of the 16th cent., now a 'Collegio Militare'
(cadet academy). Farther on we pass the prison of Regina Coeli
(PI. II, 8, 11), on the right, and the Ponte Gianicolense (p. 265),
on the left.
About 3/4 M. from the Porta Santo Spirito and opposite the Pai.
Corsini (p. 416), to the left, is the entrance to the —
**Villa Farnesina (PI. II, 11; adm., p. 172; visitors should
bring hand-mirrors), the garden of which, extending to the Tiber,