412 IV. Bight Bank. ROME. c- Vatican Library.
are deposited also the numerous addresses which Pius IX. received
in the course of his pontificate. — To the right in the third room
is the entrance to a collection of —
Ancient Pictures. On the floor, ancient mosaics. On the
right wall: Phaedra and Scylla (see below); above, Ulysses and
Circe (see below). Then the so-called *Aldobrandine Nuptials,
found at Rome about 1600.
This picture, a Roman copy of the Augustan period, probably from
a Greek originai of the time of Apelles and Aetion (4th cent. B.C.), is
one of the finest ancient pictures in existence. The composition rescmbles
that of a relief and the colouring is delicately graduated. In the centre
is the white-robed bride, listening to the counsils of Aphrodite, to the
right the bridegroom, hesitating on the threshold, and at the ends are
groups of women and girls preparing the bridal bath and singing the
Warrior in armour, found at Ostia in 1868; above it, Ulysses
encountering the Laestrygones ; to the left, by a door, Ship being
loaded, found at Ostia. By the window, Orientai gold and silver
trinkets and piate, presented by the Emperor of Siam to Pius IX.
To the left and right of these: Myrrha andPasiphaè. By the long
wall, farther on: the Spies of Ulysses among the Laestrygones;
below, a chariot with Cupids; to the right, sacrificial procession
in front of a statue of Artemis; to the left, a boat mounted on a
waggon and the beginning of a procession, probably representing
a popular spring-festivai. Then, Ulysses in the infernal regions ;
below it, an unknown female figure (so-called Byblis) and Canace.
— An adjacent cabinet contains a collection of Ancient Brick
Stamps and a number of Majolica platters, transferred from the
papal summer-palace at Castel Gandolfo.
The Studio del Mosaico, or Papal Manufactory of Mosaic,
is below the gallery of inscriptions; entrance in the left angle of
the farther side of the Cortile di San Damaso (p. 374). Adm. on
week-days 10-2, with permesso of the Maggiordomo, Via della Segre¬
taria 8. Numerous workmen are employed here in copying cel¬
ebrated pictures for churches, etc. The material used is a kind of
coloured glass, of which there are said to be 28,000 different shades.
d. The Lungara.
The Borgo is connected with Trastevere by the Via della Lun¬
gara, 3/4 M. in length, constructed by Julius II. The Borgo is
quitted by the Porta di Santo Spirito (PI. II, 9; p. 361), begun by
Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, and occupying nearly the same
site as the old Gate of the Saxons. — Immediately to the right
diverges the broad Via del Gianicolo, ascending the hill in a curve.
This is the N. approach to the Passeggiata Margherita, described