370 IV- BightBank. ROME.
b. San Pietro
"We now turn to the left, and perceive below the arch, on the left,
the mosaic copy of Raphael's Transfiguration (49), four times the
size of the originai (p. 389). — Opposite, to the right, begins
Left Aisle. Here, under the arch on the right, the monument
(50) of Leo XI. (d. 1605) by Algardi, with a relief of Henri IV. of
France abjuring protestantism ; left, monument (51) of Innocent XI.
(d. 1689), designed by Carlo Maratta, with relief of the delivery
of Vienna by King John Sobieski. The large Choir Chapel (52),
gorgeously decorated by Giac. della Porta with stucco and gild-
ing, contains the tombstone of Clement XI. (d. 1721), an altar-
piece after P. Bianchi (Immaculate Conception), and two organs.
Ceremonies accompanied by beautiful musical performances fre¬
quently take place here on Sundays. — Beneath the next arch,
to the right, over the door, is the tomb in which the most recently
deceased pope rests until the completion of his tomb and monu¬
ment elsewhere. To the left, the *Monument (53) of Innocent Vili.
(d. 1492), by Antonio and Piero Poliamolo (1498). On the right an
aitar (54) with the Presentation of the Virgin, after Romanelli.
The eye of the English traveller will rest with interest upon the
monument (55) of Maria Clementine Sobieski (d. 1735 at Rome),
wife of James III., the 'Old Pretender', under the arch to the right,
voer the door which leads to the dome (p. 372); and upon the
tomb (56), to the left, of the last of the Stuarts, by Canova (1819),
with busts of 'James III.' and his sons Charles Edward (the 'Young
Pretender') and Henry (Duke of York and Cardinal of Frascati,
better known as Cardinal York; comp. p. 458). In the last chapel
(57) on the right is a font consisting of the cover of a sarcophagus,
affirmed by unauthenticated tradition to have been brought from the
mausoleum of Hadrian (p. 359). Over the aitar, Baptism of Christ,
after Maratta. To the left, St. Peter baptizing his gaolers in
the Mamertine Prison, after Passeri; to the right, Baptism of the
Centurion, after Procaccini.
The Sacristy (entrance by the grey marble portai mentioned
at p. 369, ground-plan 44; visited most conveniently 9-11 a.m.),
erected in 1775 by Pius VI. from the designs of Carlo Marchionne,
consists of three chapels in a corridor adorned with ancient columns
At the entrance the statues of (r.) St. Peter and (1.) St. Paul, executed
in 1461-62 by Paolo Bomano, and formerly in the Piazza of St. Peter
(p. 361). The centrai octagonal chapel, Sagrestia Comune (58), is embell¬
ished with eight columns of bigio from the Villa of Hadrian near Tivoli.
A chorister (i/2 fr.) may be found here to show the others. Left, the
Sagrestia dei Canonici (59), with the Cap. dei Canonici, altar-piece by
Francesco Penni (Madonna with SS. Anna, Peter, and Paul), opposite
to which is a Madonna and Child by Giulio Bomano. Adjacent is the —
Stanza Capitolare (60), containing interesting pictures from the old
Confessio, by Giotto : Christ with Cardinal Stof aneschi ; Crucifixion of