354 IH- Southern Quarters. ROME.
and another painted on wood, attributed to St. Luke (6-7th cent.).
In Holy Week (especially on Good Friday)sthe Scala Santa presents
an extraordinary spectacle.
To the E. of the Scala Santa is a tribune erected by Bene¬
dict XIV., with copies of the ancient Mosaics from the Triclinium
of Leo III., or principal dining-room of the ancient Lateran palace.
The originals, dating from the end of the 8th cent., were destroyed
in the pontificate of Clement XII., but the present copies were made
in 1743 from ancient drawings. Their subject is the union of
spiritual and temporal power effected by Charlemagne. In the
centre, Christ sending out his disciples ; on the left, Christ enthroned
delivers the keys to Pope Sylvester and the banner to the Emp.
Constantine; on the right, St. Peter presenting the papal stole to
Leo and the banner to Charlemagne (the square blue nimbus was
given to living persons).
Opposite the tribune with the mosaics extends the spacious
Piazza di Porta San Giovanni (PI. Ili, 31), partly encroached on
by new buildings, in which is the entrance to the Lateran Museum
(p. 348) and the main fagade of San Giovanni in Laterano (p. 344). —
A dusty street leads hence to the E. to (5 min.) Santa Croce in
Gerusalemme (p. 213); while the Via Emanuele Filiberto runs N.
to the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele (p. 209).
From the Via Emanuele Filiberto a street ascends slightly to the
right to the entrance of the Villa Wolkonsky (PI. II, 31), now called
Villa Campanari and almost wholly enclosed by new buildings, but
deserving a visit, especially in spring, when the roses are in bloom.
The Aqua Claudia (p. 213) intersects the gardens, where also a few antique
tombs and sculptured fragments are preserved. Admission on Wed. & Sat.
(fee to the porter).
The Porta San Giovanni (PI. Ili, 31), named after the church,
was erected in 1574, taking the place of the ancient Porta Asi-
naria, now built up, which stood a little to the right. Hence to
the Campagna, see p. 439.
The road skirting the town-wall to the left, outside the gate, brings
us in 7 min. to the Amphitheatrum Castrense (PI. III, 34), the only
amphitheatre in Rome with the exception of the Colosseum. The archi¬
tectural details, including the Corinthian capitals, are of terracotta or of
burned brick. The amphitheatre is 57 yds. in length and 41 in breadth.
The interior (uninteresting) is entered by the gate near Santa Croce in
Gerusalemme (p. 213). — Hence to the Porta Maggiore (p. 213), 12 minutes.