Palazzo del Laterano. ROME. HI- Southern Quarters. 347
marble relief by Tenerani (a custodian opens this and other chapels,
y2 fr.). The third chapel (PI. 9), belonging to the Massimi, con¬
structed by Giac. della Porta, contains the Crucifixion, an altar-
piece by Sermoneta. Above the opening looking into the chapel
is a relief of St. James, which adorned an aitar from the studio of
Andrea Bregno (1492), presented by G. de Pereriis (the other
portions of the aitar are in the cloisters). Farther on, the monument
(PI. 11) of Card. Guissano (d. 1287; the older portions by the Cos-
mati); that of Card. Ranuccio Farnese, by Vignola (at the back
of the last pier of the nave), and that of the Portuguese cardinal
Ant. de Chiaves (d. 1447), by Filarete, removed during the alter-
ations of 1650 but afterwards pieced together again. — The first
chapel on the left, that of Sant' Andrea Corsini (PI. 1), built by
Al. Galilei in 1734, contains four ancient porphyry columns and
a large vessel of porphyry from the portico of the Pantheon, in
front of the bronze figure of Clement XII. (Corsini, d. 1740); the
walls are sumptuously inlaid with precious stones. Below the chapel
is the burial-vault of the Corsini, with a *Pietà by Antonio Mon¬
tanti (or more probably Bernini, though not in his usuai style).
The sacristan conducts visitors from the last chapel of the S.
aisle into the interesting * Cloisters (Chiostro), constructed in
the 13th cent, by Petrus Vassallettus and his brother (1222-30;
comp. p. 448), with numerous small spirai and inlaid columns
(p. lxiv). Various fragments from the old church are deposited in
the passages. The monastery was founded at the end of the 6th
cent, by Benedictines from Monte Cassino.
In the Via Ariosto, which begins on the N. side of the Piazza di
San Giovanni in Laterano, lies the Casino Massimi (PI. II, 28 ; not
visible from the piazza), the only relic of the Villa Massimi. Three
rooms in thjs are adorned with Frescoes from the three Italian poets
Dante, Ariosto, and Tasso, painted for Prince Camillo Massimi in 1821-
28 by the German artists Jul. Schnorr, Ph. Veit, A. Eoch, Overbeck, and
Ftihrich (admission only by special permesso of Prince Lancellotti).
On the E. side of the Piazza di San Giovanni in Laterano, ad¬
joining the basilica, rises the —
Palazzo del Laterano (PI. Ili, 28), to which, together with
the Vatican and Castel Gandolfo, the privilege of exterritoriality
was secured by a law of 1871. This was the residence of the popes
from the time of Constantine down to the migration to Avignon
(comp. p. 373). The old palace was much larger than the present
one, and included the Sancta Sanctorum Chapel (p. 354). After the
great fire in 1308 it lay in ruins, but these were removed, and the
new palace erected by Domenico Fontana, by order of Sixtus V.
in 1586. As it remained unoccupied, it was converted by Inno-
cent XII. into an orphan-asylum in 1693. In 1843 Gregory XVI.
set apart the palace for the heathen and Christian antiquities for
which the Vatican and Capitoline museums no longer afforded space,