326 HI- Southern Quarters. ROME.
f. The Aventine.
by monasteries and vineyards only and is as yet little disturbed by
the modern building activity.
At the base of the hill is the Via della Salara (PI. Ili, 16).
beginning at the Piazza Bocca della Verità (p. 322), and continued
by the Via della Marmorata (p. 328). Immediately beyond Santa
Maria in Cosmedin (p. 322) and 2 min. farther streets diverge to
the left from the Via Salara, both ascending to the top of the
The second of these, the steep Vicolo di Santa Sabina, reaches
the top of the Aventine in 5 minutes. The extensive remains of
tufa walls, which bound the vigna to the right at the corner of the
street, date from a Castle, whence in the 13th cent, the Savelli
commanded the river and the road on its bank. On the top, in the
Via di Santa Sabina, are the three churches on the Aventine,
Santa Sabina, Sant' Alessio, and Santa Maria Aventina, situated
*Santa Sabina (PI. Ili, 16), which probably occupies the site
of a tempie of Juno Regina, was erected in 425, in the pontificate
of Coelestine I., by Petrus, an Illyrian priest, and restored in the
13th, 15th, and 16th centuries. Honorius III. presented the church,
along with the old papal palace adjoining it, to St. Dominio, who
made it the headquarters of his order. It is usually entered by a
side-door; if closed, visitors ring at the door to the left and proceed
through the old portico, now built up, and the principal portai. The
cypress-wood doors are adorned with carvings of scriptural scenes,
mostly of the 5th cent, (the upper relief on the left is perhaps the
oldest representation of the Crucifixion). Comp. p. lxiii.
The Interior, with its open roof and twenty-four ancient Corinthian
columns of Hymettian marble, has retained the character of an early
Christian basilica almost unimpaired. — Entrance Wall. Over the door,
an admirable Mosaic (A.D. 430); inscription with the name of the
founder, on the left a figure emblematical of the Ecclesia ex Circumcisione
(Jewish Christians), on the right that of the Ecclesia ex Gentibus (Gentile
Christians). — Nave. On the pavement in the centre, towards the aitar,
is the tomb of Munoz de Zamora, general of the Dominican order (d. 1300),
adorned with mosaic. Over the high-altar is a ciborium in the style of
the llth cent., by Poccetti (1905). — At the end of the Right Aisle, in
the Chapel of St. Dominic, the *Madonna del Rosario with SS. Dominic
and Catharine, an altar-piece by Sassoferrato, regarded as his masterpiece.
Adjacent on the right, Renaissance tomb of Card. Auxias de Podio (d. 1483).
— Several fragments of the ancient choir-screen, with ornaments of the
9th cent., have been built into the wall of the left aisle.
The small garden of the former Dominican Monastery contains an
old orange-tree said to have been planted by St. Dominic. It is visible
from the small window opposite the wooden door. The handsome cloisters
(1216-25 ; p. lxiii), with 103 small columns, and the large garden now belong
to a Fever Hospital and are quite inaccessible.
Sant' Alessio (PI. Ili, 16) is mentioned as early as the 7th
cent., when, however, it was dedicated to St. Boniface. About 970
it carne into the possession of monks of the Greek Basilian order,