322 IH- Southern Quarters. ROME.
diverges to the right. Its name recalls the ancient Vélabrum, a
quarter stretching between the Vicus Tuscus and the Forum Boarium.
To the right is San Giorgio in Velabro (PI. II, 19; generally
closed; sacristan atNo. 19), founded in the 4th cent., re-erected by
Leo II. in 682 and dedicated to SS. George and Sebastian, and sub-
sequently often restored. The portico, according to the metrical
inscription, dates from one of these restorations, probably in the
12th century. (In the middle ages the word Vélabrum was altered
to 'velum aureum'.) The interior, a basilica with aisles, 16 antique
columns, an old canopy (p. lxiv), and retouched frescoes in the tri¬
bune, probably by Pietro Cavallini (1295 ; p. 420), is under restor¬
Adjacent to the church is the small Arcus Argentariorum, or
Arch ofthe Money Changers (Arco degli Oréfici; PI. II, 19), which,
according to the inscription, was erected by the money-changers
and merchants of the Forum Boarium in honour of Septimius Se¬
verus and his wife and sons. The sadly damaged sculptures re¬
present victims and sacrificial utensils. A portrait of Geta here
was defaced by command of Caracalla (comp. p. 294). — Farther
on is the *Janus Quadrifrons (Arco di Giano; PI. II, 19), an
arched passage with four facades, of the later imperiai age, sup-
posed to have been erected in honour of Constantine the Great.
Above it once rose a second story. — From this point to the Tiber
stretched in antiquity an extensive square known as the Forum
Boarium, or cattle-market.
Proceeding through the low brick archways opposite the Arcus Argenta-
riorunij and passing a mill, we reach the Cloaca Maxima (PI. II, 16),
an ancient channel constructed for the drainage of the Foruum and the
adjacent low ground (p. 287), and stili discharging this useful function.
A basin was formed here, into which springs were conducted to produce
a current through the Cloaca. In the mill (20-30 e.) is seen the continu-
ation of .the Cloaca towards the Forum, and from the Ponte Palatino
(p. 325) its influx into the Tiber. The Cloaca is constructed of tufa with
occasionai layers of travertine, and at the mouth of peperino entirely.
Following the Street beyond the Arch of Janus, and passing the
N.W. end of the Piazza dei Cerchi, we reach the Piazza Bocca della
Verità, which forms part of the Forum Boarium. In the centre
is a pretty baroque fountain erected in 1715 after Bizzaccheri's
design (group of Tritons by Moratti). The Via Bocca della Verità
runs hence to the N. to the Piazza Montanara (p. 268). — To the
left, at the foot of the Aventine, is the church of —
*Santa Maria in Cosmedin (PI. II, 16), sometimes called
Bocca della Verità (p. 324), a basilica in existence as early as the
6th cent, and many times rebuilt and altered. The fine campanile
is later in date. The present basilica stands on the foundations of
two ancient Roman buildings. The first of these was a Tempie of
Hercules (Templum HercuZis Pompeiani), probably dating from