302 IH- Southern Quarters. ROME. b. Forum Romanum.
longed. The gilded bronze tiles were removed to the roof of old
St. Peter's by Pope Honorius I. about 626.
Between the Basilica of Constantine and the Palatine some re¬
mains of Private Houses have recently been discovered on the Sacra
Via. This street was one of the most elegant in Rome and contained
many shops of goldsmiths, bronze-workers, and the like. The walls
date from various periods, both before and after the time of Hadrian;
their details are stili somewhat doubtful.
Adjoining the basilica of Constantine, and partly occupying the
site of the tempie of Venus and Roma (p. 303)J is the church of —
Santa Francesca Romana (PI. II, 22), originally named
Sancta Maria Nova. The church, which was restored in 1216
by Honorius III. after a fire and at several other periods, contains
the tomb of Francesca de' Ponziani (d. 1440), foundress of an order
of Oblate nuns, who was canonized in 1608. The fagade is by a
contemporary of Maderna (1615).
Interior. In the vestibule, with a side-entrance between the lst and
2nd chapels on the right : (r.) Monument of Card. Vulcani (d. 1394) and
(1.) that of the papal commandant and general Antonio Rido (d. 1457).
2nd Chapel: Miracles of St. Benedict, altar-piece by Subleyras. In the
Tribune mosaics of the 12th cent, (restored in 1891) : in the centre Ma¬
donna, (1.) SS. John and James, (r.) SS. Peter and Andrew. Over the
high-altar an ancient Madonna, traditionally attributed to St. Luke, which
is said alone to have escaped destruction in the confiagration. To the
right of the apse: monument of Gregory XI. (d. 1378), who transferred
the papal residence from Avignon to Rome, with a relief by Olivieri (1585).
Here on the right, built into the wall, are two stones on which SS. Peter
and Paul are said to have knelt when they prayed for the punishment
of Simon Magus. In the Confessio a group of Santa Francesca with an
angel, by Meli. In the crypt (closed) is the tomb of the saint, with a
marble relief by Bernini.
In the adjoining Convent, with its tasteful cloisters of the time
of Alexander VI., is the Office of the Excavations. A Museum
(Museo del Foro) is being fitted up here for the reception of the
antiquities found in the Forum. The groundfloor is to be devoted
to architectural fragments, sculptures, and objects found in tombs,
while other objects will be exhibited on the upper floor.
On the summit of the Velia (p. 301), at the foot of the Palatine,
rises the *Triumphal Arch of Titus, commemorating the de-
feat of the Jews (A.D. 70), and dedicated to him under his successor
Domitian in 81, as the inscription on the side next the Colosseum
records: Senatus populusque Romanus divo Tito divi Vespasiani
filio Vespasiano Augusto. The single arch is embellished with
fine reliefs (p. lv). On the outside, below the inscription, is a
sacrificial procession on the frieze. Inside: Titus crowned by
Victory in a quadriga driven by Roma; opposite, the triumphal
procession with the captive Jews, table with the show-bread, and