290 IH- Southern Quarters. ROME. &• Forum Romanum:
of the Forum : at the top are reconstructions of the ancient appearance
of the Forum, and below its present appearance. The longer axis of
the Forum lies almost exactly from N.W. to S.E. For the sake of
simplicity, however, we describe the side between Sant' Adriano and San
Lorenzo as the N. side, and that between the Basilica Julia and the
Tempie of Castor as the S. side. — Regulations for photographing,
sketching, etc, see p. xxiii.
Chr. Hillsen's 'The Roman Forum' (Engl* translation by J. B. Carter;
2nd ed., Rome, 1909; 5 fr.} is indispensable to those who desire to make
a dose examin ation of this historic site. — A plastic reconstruction of
imperiai Rome('Restitutio Urbis'), by Prof. G. Marcelliani, is exhibited
at via delle Grazie 16B, opposite the entrance to the Forum (adm. 1 fr.).
Descending from the piazza of the Capitol through the Via del
Campidoglio to the right, past the Senatorial Palace (comp. p. 273),
we enjoy a good *Survey op the Forum. To the left, below us, lie
the tempie of Saturn, to which the eight unfluted columns belong,
the three columns of the tempie of Vespasian, and the arch of
Septimius Severus. Behind, partly hidden by the columns of the
tempie of Saturn, is the column of Phocas ; farther on is the tempie
of Faustina, with well-preserved octostyle portico, and, opposite,
the three columns of the tempie of Castor. The Sacra Via, ascend¬
ing from the tempie of Faustina, passes (on the left) the circular
tempie of Romulus with the church of Santi Cosma e Damiano,
then the huge arches of the basilica of Constantine, while on the
right are the remains of numerous brick-built shops and houses.
In the back-ground appear the church of Santa Francesca Romana,
on the site of the tempie of Venus and Roma, the Colosseum, the
arch of Titus, and to the right the ruins and gardens on the Pala¬
tine. — Trees, shrubs, and flowers have recently been planted here
and there among the grey ruins.
The building below the Tabularium (p. 286) is the Colonnade
of the Twelve Gods (Porticus deorum consentium), whose
images were erected here in A.D. 367 by Vettius Agorius Prae-
textatus, the praefectus urbis, and one of the principal champions
of expiring paganism. In 1858 the ruin was freely restored.
To the right of the Colonnade of the Twelve Gods and dose to
the Tabularium rise three columns, belonging to the *Temple of
Vespasian, erected under Domitian and restored by Septimius
Severus. The inscription ran thus: ''Divo Vespasiano Augusto
senatus populusque Romanus ; imperatores Caesares Severus et
Antoninus Pii Felices Augusti restituer(unt).' A part of the last
word only is preserved. The columns and entablature display ex¬
cellent workmanship (restored cast in the Tabularium, see p. 286).
In front the tempie had a portico of six columns. An egress from
the Tabularium (p. 286) was evidently built up by the back-wall
of the cella.
Farther on, to the right, and with its back adjoining the Tabu¬
larium, is the Tempie of Concordia (p. 287), erected in 366
B.C. by M. Furius Camillus, to commemorate the reconciliation