f. S. Carlo ai Catinari. ROME. II. R.on the Tiber (L'.B.). 265
di Sant' Eligio, the next cross-street to the left, is the church of
Sant' Eligio degli Orefici (PI. II, 11), a graceful but dilapidated
little circular structure, built in 1509 from a design by Raphael and
rebuilt in 1601 (closed; visitors knock at Via dell' Armata 118).
Farther on in the Via Giulia, on the left, are the Carceri Nuove,
a prison founded by Innocent X. (closed in 1897), the little church
of San Biagio della Pagnotta, and, No. 66, the Pai. Sacchetti
(PI. II, 12), erected in 1543 by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger as
his private residence. The courses of rough rustica masonry in the
lower stories of the houses on the left side of the street formed the
beginning of a large court of justice, projected by Julius IL and
designed by Bramante, but never carried out. — To the left, at the
end of the Via Giulia, is San Giovanni de' Fiorentini (p. 262).
The most important side-street of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele is
the Via di Tor Argentina (PI. II, 15-18, 14), mentioned at p. 257,
which begins at the Pantheon (p. 247) on the N., and is continued
to the S. by the Via Arenula to the Ponte Garibaldi (p. 419).
To the S. of the Corso Vitt. Emanuele the Via di Tor Argentina,
passing the Teatro Argentina (p. 167) and a monument to Pietro
Cossa (1.834-81), the dramatist, leads to the Piazza Benedetto
Cairoli (PI. II, 14), adorned with gardens. Thence the Via de'
Giubbonari runs to the right to the Campo di Fiore (p. 262), and
the Via del Pianto (p. 266) to the left to the Porticus of Octavia
and the Theatre of Marcellus (p. 267).
On the N. side of the Piazza Benedetto Cairoli rises the church
of San Carlo ai Catinari (PI. II, 14), built by Rosati in 1612
in honour of San Carlo Borromeo, in the form of a Greek cross,
with a dome. The fagade is by G. B. Soria. In the pendentives
below the dome are the four cardinal virtues, by Domenichino.
Over the high-altar, Card. Borromeo in the procession of the plague
at Milan, by Pietro da Cortona.
The narrow Via de' Falegnami runs from the N.E. angle of the
Piazza Benedetto Cairoli to the small Piazza Mattei (PI. II, 17), in
the middle of which is the graceful *Fontana delle Tartarughe
(tortoises), a bold and skilfully composed bronze group with figures
of four youths and dolphins and tortoises (restored in 1903). This is
the most charming fountain in Rome, executed from a design which
was formerly attributed to Raphael and then to Giacomo della Porta,
by the Fiorentine sculptor Taddeo Landini.
To the left is the Palazzo Mattei (PI. II, 17), originally an ag¬
gregate of separate buildings which occupied the rectangle between
Santa Caterina de' Funari and the Via Paganica. The E. portion,
with the principal entrance,Via de'Funari 31 (side-entrance, No. 32),
is one of the finest productions of Carlo Moderna (1616).